"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Relationships: The Quest for "Rare"



I was chatting to one of my favorite girls the other day. Somehow, the conversation winded down to relationships & expectations towards the subject. 
During the course of our conversation, this sister said something that immediately stuck to me faster than super glue. She said, what she's looking for is "rare". 
I admired her for her knowing what she wanted & not being apologetic for it one bit.

Our conversation ruminated & marinated in my mind during the hours to follow. It during that time that God reminded me of the story of how Abraham looked for a wife for his son.

The story is in Genesis 24 and it's one we probably have read & re-read. In fact, I have already written a post on the latter part of that same chapter. 

It's funny how we can relate to a story that happened thousands of years ago. But the story of Isaac & Rebekah is a classic we should really learn from.

Firstly, it's OK to be specific about what you want (as long as they're not vain or for vain things). Abraham knew he wanted a wife from his kindred. He didn't want Isaac to marry the girls from the countries around. This was the rare thing. Abraham had left his family a long time ago. This was no small quest. But he held on to it. So do not feel bad or try to lower your standards because you haven't found anyone that meet them or because people think you are strange for not settling for status quo.

Secondly, now that you know what you are looking for is not actually like gold & not stone on the streets, there are 3 things you need to  be aware of & do to help you out.

1. Ask for God's guidance. 
This is what the servant that was sent to go look for the "rare" gem  did (Genesis 24:12). Your criteria might seem impossible for even you but put it in God's hands and let Him be the final judge of it.

2. Be specific. 
Too often are we vague. And this goes for MANY things. But one thing I keep seeing again and again in God's Word is that God requires us to be very specific. No need to come up with eloquent words just to say a fancy prayer without actually saying anything.
The servant sent asked God for a specific sign (Genesis 24:14). I mean you couldn't be more specific than this guy. 

3. Be ready to act!!!!
The servant not only prayed and asked for God's guidance and a specific sign, but he also acted (Genesis 24:22). How many times have we prayed but failed to ask? Don't forget we always have a part to play in the manifestation for the full prayers and I do not mean trying to do God's job for Him or cut corners!

I'm going to expatiate a bit & zero in on the ladies, it being my point of view too. 
I believe we all have a part to play. We need to cut our men some slack. 
Humility is key in this.
Yes, we are queens. No doubt.
Humility is not debasing or forgetting your worth. It's not even compromise. It's being willingg to make an effort towards the other, taking a step in his direction, knowing he's already walking/headed in your direction. 
I believe we get it wrong these days when it comes to dishing out responsibilities & expectations. We are laid back about the wrong things and too quick about the things we should take our time on.

3 comments:

  1. It's a pleasure to read you ; thank you for being inspiring! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great message for anyone who's looking for anything - spouse, direction, purpose, whatever.

    Berry Dakara Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made some very good points there. Been thinking about this for sometime now. Sometimes I wonder how this choosing a partner thing actually works and then I think myself into confusion so I have to start all over again lol. But I'm glad you reminded me about the Rebecca and Isaac Story. I'll go back and read it to see what I get from it too. Thanks for sharing as well... it was a blessing

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top