"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Skin Care : How I battle{d} Tinea Versicolor


-source-

About 4 years ago, I started noticing the dark brown spots on my skin. Not only were they appearing everywhere on my chest, back and neck but each spot was spreading and growing wider. I panicked and saw a dermatologist. She did a very quick test to tell her what kind  of infection is was - test came back positive for a fungi infection.  However, I had no idea the cause of it. She prescribed a mddcil shampoo that would get rid of the infection, but, according to her, the spots could take up to 5 months to disappear and - this was the worst part - the infection would return during the summer. Then, I only wanted then out so I didn't take much thought to the latter part of her statement. 

The shampoo worked just fine and I got rid of my spots faster than 5 months but just as she had foreseen, l and behold, the spots came back during the summer. I was so busy that summer I didn't have time to really see a dermatologist. I saw my doctor who was practically clueless and before I knew it, the spots had grown darker, bigger and had multiplied like crazy! The infection was so serious, each spot made my skin look black and so thick. It was a very annoying and unpleasant situation. I could not wear anything without these spots being seen. They were everywhere on my chest, neck and back! I remember being so frustrated at the end of that summer, I decided to take things into my own hands. I did a lot of research and it took me a long time before finally finding the cause of this skin issue :  Tinea Versicolor.

According to Wikipedia, Tinea Versicolor is a long term fungal skin infection caused by the fungi Malassezia globosa. It is said to be one of the most common skin diseases in tropical and subtropical parts of the world (www.aad.org). I also found out that we all have fungi living on our skin it's when they get out of control that an infection occurs. Fungi are a kind of parasite that have the same cellular make up as human cells making them really hard to get rid of without harming the host. In the case of Tinea versicolor, it is a type of fungi that naturally lives on the skin says www.webmd.com. It's is not contagious thus it cannot be caught from someone that has it.

According to www.webmd.com, the fungi creates an acidic bleach that causes a rash that can pretty much be white, red or black and everything in between. The rashes commonly appear on the neck, arms and torso but they can also appear anywhere else. The common causes for the infection are : a warm climate, excess sweating and a weak immune system.

Now that we've gotten that introduction out of the way, let me tell you why I am writing this post. I am writing this post to gel potters that might be fighting this same issue. As i stated earlier, it was hard for me to find a lot of information about it and even with the little I found practically nothing about someone that actually gave a personal testimonial about their experience and what they did. So I am going to share my own experience to help those frustrated with this uninvited fungi.

Firstly, there are 2 types of medication :
1. topical treatments : lotions, shampoos & foams. 
Some need a prescription.
2. anti fungi pills.
Need a prescription. Side effects can occur making it essential to see your doctor often while taking them. 

I have used both.
The pills have not been effective at all. However, topical shampoos have. But I have also used other homemade remedies.


When I had my serious breakout 3 summers ago and was absolutely clueless, I took extreme measures that helped get rid of the infection. I am going to share what I did in that case and also share with you what I do every day to keep the fungi under control and not break out into an infection.  

HOW TO DEAL WITH A SERIOUS BREAK OUT --

1. Get an anti fungal shampoo that contains selenium sulfide (according to www.webmd.com, miconazole and clotrimazole are also be good anti fungal agents). Most of them can be gotten over the counter. The one I use is actually against dandruff so anything that  contains selenium sulfide is just fine.

2. Take a shower EVERY DAY. This is really important because as with any kind of infection, consistency is key. I do this at night because I had more time.

3. Use the shampoo before washing. Apply on the areas affected and wait a few minutes before rinsing.

4. Apply ACV on affected areas. High pH hinders fungal growth.

5. Do a scrub or detoxifying mask (using Bentonite clay for example) to remove dead skin and excess dirt. Fungi feed on these.

4. Oil skin with olive oil mixed with tea tree essential oil. I use about 100ml to 10 drops. But before using an essential oil, please check with your doctor first! Tea tree oil is said to have anti fungal properties.

5. Apply some camomile powder to the spots before bed. Camomile powder helps combat skin issues.

REPEAT DAILY

Using this regimen, it took me only 2 months to get rid of practically all my spots.


How to get tinea versicolor under control --

After battling my major infection, the spots came back around the summer again. But this time, I was prepared. I realized the fact that they were part of me and were going to keep coming back but all I had to do was keep them under control. The changes in my daily lifestyle also made it a must to put certain measures in place to avoid another serious break out. Here's what I do on a daily basis to avoid that :

1. Take a shower at least once every other day.

2. Use selenium sulfide shampoo every time

3. Scrub often to avoid dead skin build up

3. Oil skin with olive oil mixed with tea tree essential oil 


This simple skin care regimen has helped keep those bad boys away or at least to the very minimum. Sorry for the long post but I hope it has helped somebody!




4 comments:

  1. I have this too what ultimately worked for me since topical and oral treatments always failed was to give up bread and sugar even natural sugar. After 4 weeks it had disappeared and I started introducing natural sugar to my diet again but still stayed away from bread now it's summer and haven't had a break out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this too what ultimately worked for me since topical and oral treatments always failed was to give up bread and sugar even natural sugar. After 4 weeks it had disappeared and I started introducing natural sugar to my diet again but still stayed away from bread now it's summer and haven't had a break out!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top