"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Verse Of The Week : In Pieces Without You


-source-
One of the greatest deception satan has managed to inject into man is that man can actually help himself, that is, work on himself and improve on himself, if he really tries to. This lie implies the fact that man  an actually manage himself, as if he had all he needed in himself and all he had to do was find exactly what he needed within himself. No matter how innocent this idea seems, this is not true. 

I guess I used to believe this even without actively realizing it. I was actually holding on to the idea without knowing it...I just had this notion at the back of my mind that I was a good person and I was able to stay that way as long as I actively made the effort to do so. However, God showed me otherwise. It's really funny the way God reveals things to us. When you think you are so sure of something God can, in amazing ways, show you plainly that what you think you are so sure of is actually wrong. It's even more humbling when it's about our character or conduct. You are so sure you are not this or that but God, in His wondrous ways, will end up proving to you that you are actually that which you think you are not. This draws my mind to brother Peter in the garden of Gethsamene when Jesus was betrayed in Matthew 26. Brother Peter could have sworn on his life that he would not and could not deny Jesus but a few verses down the chapter, we see him denying Jesus. Brother Peter was utterly disappointed in himself and "wept bitterly" [Matthew 26:75].

In the same manner, I was also humbled when I realized how pathetic I was, trying to hold myself together without the only person that holds me together : Jesus. I was actually doing it without realizing it. It was not an active decision or an act of rebellion. It made me realize just how much I needed Him in everything. I mean, everything. And when I realized this, one of the most amazing verses in the Bible came to my mind and I couldn't help but smile.

"You are my Lord;
    apart from you I have no good thing"

Psalm 16 : 2

For me, there is no end to this truth.

The bottom line of the matter is this : man cannot manage himself.
No matter how well everything might be going in your life or how good you think you are or can be. Man cannot manage one second of his life not to talk of the smallest iota of his life. 
We need God. 
We don't have a "well of goodness" inside of us we just need to draw from and we're good to go neither is there a map inside us that will somehow navigate us. Look all you like but the Bible clearly says "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" [Jeremiah 17 : 9] and Mark 7 : 21 says "For it is within, out of a person's heart, that evil thoughts come - sexual immorality, theft, murder..." and let's not forget, "For as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he" [Proverbs 23 : 7]. 
According to these verses, man does not have goodness in him. So if he doesn't, how can he get any goodness from within? 

It's simple. I don't have it together. I can't hold it together. And I've got nothing good in me.
None of us does.
Don't kid yourself saying you can sustain, even the smallest part of yourself, with all your goodness and your intelligence or this and that. 
Everything good we have flows from above. They come from God. Stop trying to look within when the source is from above. Stop trying to manage yourself because God does not require this of us. He requires us to hold on to Him and He will keep us and sustain us. 
Let's not get it twisted, we cannot manage us. Without God we are disasters waiting to happen. Without Him, we will mess it all up. Nobody's asking you to be perfect. He has given us the grace to come to Him boldly even in our messes as Hebrews 4 : 16 saysLet us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need". You can't clean up that mess alone, so stop trying to cover it all up and "handle" it yourself. Give it to God. Give everything to God 100%. Even your imperfections. As I stated earlier, God did not call us to be perfect, but to strive after perfection which is in the form of His son Jesus Christ our Savior. He wants us to bring it all to Him by faith, in confidence and submission, even the good, the bad and the ugly.
You can't manage you.
Don't think there's a part of your life that's too messed up for God to fix. He knows you better than you know yourself. He's the master of complications. And don't think that you're so righteous now that you can now sustain that righteousness by yourself.
It doesn't come from you. It flows from above.

God revealed to me that I was trying to hold myself together, when in fact, I was slowly falling apart. Now I've come to learn that I have to surrender my ALL. Strengths and weaknesses alike. Every part of me and every single cell in my body.

Your good ways, your strengths and abilities do not come from you  and therefore you cannot rely on yourself to keep on producing them. Neither can you rely on yourself to patch yourself up, no matter the mess. 
Give it all to God, whether good or bad.

God bless you.

10 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post. Very beautiful and so on point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this...its messy everywhere but God is so we will trust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man this was a word!!!!! Wooo I def needed to read that! If u don't mind can you email this too me at oosayam44@gmail.com I would really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is something I have to keep telling myself, over and over and over and over again. Printing and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm I really do need God. Thank you for this post. www.secretlilies.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the glory be to God sis!! We all need Him!

      Delete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top