"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Monday, April 15, 2013

3 Years Post BC -- Why d'You do it?


Hey! Another mini-hiatus...Do forgive me. Regular posting will be back soon by God's grace. I'm doing great over here and I pray it's so with you too.

Today's gist is about my BC (big chop) experience. March 25th marked 3 years after my BC. They say time flies but it kind of feels like it's been longer than 3 years...Maybe it's got to do with the nature of the journey. BUT, I give God all the glory for keeping me this far! Oh my, I could not have done it without Him. He was there for me to lean on emotionally, spiritually and physically through all the lovely people (like you all) around me. I would also like to say thank you to YOU for sticking with me. I really appreciate your love, support and prayers. May God reward you a hundred fold .

That being said, I'm going to share a little bit on why I BCd . For ladies planning to stay natural, there are basically two choices : to transition or to BC.
The transitioning process consists of letting the natural hair grow out while still wearing the relaxed strands. On the other hand, BCing is all about starting from zero by cutting off all the relaxed strands. 
To be factually correct, I actually did both. I stopped relaxing 6 months before BCing but only because of the circumstances. At the time, I wanted to BC immediately but multiple factors, including lack of support made me stall for 6 months. The 6 months was time used to reaffirm my decision and the negative reactions I'd received from those closest to me made me ponder long and hard about how I was going to go about it. Those months were also used to amass information. I started with one or two websites, then winded up on YouTube. Even then, staying natural was still so new...It's amazing what has changed in 3 years.

So why did I BC? Why hadn't I embarked on the transitioning path?
My straight forward out-of-the-top-of-my-head answer would be because I'd wanted to try the short hair look. Secondly, I really didn't want to have to wait especially when I just couldn't take extensions or weaves anymore. I'd had enough! I was also excited about wearing natural hair again.
The more in depth answer would be : I didn't want to have to deal with my relaxed strands and natural hair. It's easier to let go of those relaxed ends and work with the growing natural hair however, not everyone is in the position to BC. 
I still remember the night I BCd like it was last night. I got a pair of scissors (they weren't even shears), entered the bathroom and snipped away. It felt great. But I guess it felt great because it was the outward manifestation of changes that had already begun to take place deep within me. I felt free. As I said, it wasn't a physical freedom but it had everything to do with what was on the inside. The first few days were fun but weeks later, I realized I needed proper products, methods and a regimen...I had no idea how my hair worked and I had antagonism to deal with...It was bliss..right?

3 years later, do I regret it? Absolutely not. No way. I have no regrets whatsoever and looking back, I realize how important it is to believe in yourself and what you want because sometimes, people won't understand what you are doing and therefore discourage you. So if you don't know why you are doing what you are doing or believe in it, it will easily fall when confronted with opposition. Personally, I think that's why some ladies who decide to stay natural later go on to take up the relaxer. I say this because that's what happened on my first journey and what has happened to people I know. To all my sisters staring the journey or thinking about it, let me leave you with these points that have carried me through the years : Confidence is the first key to wearing natural hair. The second key is knowledge!  Arm yourself with knowledge to know how to maintain your hair! You will most likely make mistakes but this helps you learn and grow. As you learn new things, your journey gets easier. Everyone is different and no one is alike. Do what works for you and let's keep it simple. 
And to those who have been on the journey for a minute now : keep it up!

Check out some of these posts on help on how to begin or stay on your journey --


:: NEWLY NATURAL::



:: GETTING A REGIMEN ::



:: HAIR GROWTH ::



6 comments:

  1. Arming yourself with knowledge really is key to this thing. I say it all the time. The more you know, the better you do.

    You and your hair looked great the entire way through, Funbi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sis!! :)
      You've hit the nail on the head!

      Delete
  2. aww.. I just put a scissors throu my hair on Friday

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely, lovely... this is such a great update because it gives hope to my hair which i cut {i had shoulder length loc until January} off to start all over again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sis.
      Congrats on your new journey.
      I'm so glad I could be of help :)

      Delete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top