"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Monday, March 25, 2013

Know My Roots : Oja

-source-

Oja -- [pronounced awjah]

is the Yoruba word for market. The oja has always played a key role in the Yoruba people's every day life (and I know it's the case for most African tribes). Many things are centered around this public area. It seems to be something very comparable to the heart of the community. Everyone meets at the oja, most to buy, others to sell and still more to socialize. There is celebration at the oja, dancing, singing...Announcements were made there in the times of kings (many towns still have kings) and traditional ceremonies always seem to find their way there. 

According to my experience, the oja is much more than just a place for buying and selling, it's been an important part of the Yoruba community for centuries.

Mon lo s'oja {I am going to the market}


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top