"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Know My Roots : Ijo

Ijo [pronounced eejoh]

is the Yoruba word for dance. Like nearly all African tribes, ijo is an integral part of the Yoruba people's lifestyle. For centuries, bata has been the distinct Yoruba traditional style of ijo. However, whether it be bata or mainstream, we Yorubas appreciate some good ijo - to watch and participate. Parties & any other celebrations go hand in hand with music & lots of ijo. Don't even dream of going to a Yoruba party and get away with not dancing. I  recall how right from our childhood, we were taught to not hesitate to get busy on the dance floor. In between growing up with ijo & my own personal passions, I have grown to love ijo.


 

2 comments:

  1. Love that picture!Yoruba people sure know how to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sis.
      Thank you for passing by. Yes indeed we do :)

      Delete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top