"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Weight-Loss Diaries : What To Eat & What Not To Eat?

With the plan for weight - loss comes the questions, "what do I eat?" That was my very first question when I started evaluating ways to implement change. I started by looking around to what I eat and even before my first answer could be answered, I compiled a list of what I shouldn't be eating. Shockingly, I realized most of what I was eating was either, not healthy for me or just not going to help me in anyway when it comes to weight - loss. When working towards weight - loss, it's important to not only be aware of how much you eat but also what you eat. Not everything we normally brand "healthy" is geared towards weight - loss & just because it's widely known does not make it a "weight - loss acceptable" meal.

The main problem with most of what we eat today is : too many calories. Some meal carry up to half of the calories we should consume a day! That's just plain ridiculous & anti weight - loss.   Such meals only encourage weight gain - which is the exact opposite of our goal.

Check out a list of foods I've compiled what not to eat and why :


✖ Sugars -- from white or brown sugar to sugar found in fruit juices, carbonated drinks, candy, cake and such should be avoided! There are four classes of sugar : sucrose (table sugar), fructose (found mostly in carbonated drinks), honey & malts. These are extremely high in calories - 1 tablespoon of table sugar contains 48 calories while 1 tablespoon of honey contains 65 calories. These sugars increase blood sugar quickly which stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin for lower blood sugar.  An increased production of insulin is extremely unhealthy for the body because it hinders the production of the growth hormone. What's more, when it comes to digestion, refined sugar must use the body's nutrients (because of it's lack of minerals). This is just two of the many terrible consequences of sugars. For weight - loss, they lend no help in anyway due to their ridiculously high caloric content.

 Refined Grains -- we're talking white flour, white rice, white bread...pretty much the majority of grains on the market, refined carbs are a BIG no-no to a weight - loss eating regimen. They supply the body  with glucose which is a form of quick energy which is great when the energy is needed & used up...but what happens when it isn't?  They also contain practically no fiber, important nutrients, antioxidants & vitamins lost during the refining process, making them more or less empty carbohydrates.  Again, a definite no-no for a weight - loss regimen.

 Unhealthy fats -- Like really? But seriously, this is not a joke. There are such things as unhealthy fats and healthy fats. Fat is good for you because it builds the body in ways other foods can't. Contrary to popular belief, it's not about totally eliminating fats but watching the quality of your fat. Avoid hydrogenated oils, butter, whole cream, deep fried foods, meat fat etc. There are a lot of terms being thrown around but I am not here to weigh in just here to say some fats can be damaging to our health especially when used abusively. 


After listing out the foods I should not be eating, I was able to write a list of what I should be eatingCheck out my list : 


 ✔ Vegetables & Fruits -- they containing numerous vitamins, antioxidants, nutrients & much fiber, vegetables are a must for any weight - loss diet. They also help fortify the body's defenses & lower chances of certain diseases. 

 Whole grains -- such as, oats, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, whole wheat rice, are full of all the wonderful things we praise vegetables for. They do not spike blood sugar & they help you feel fuller for a longer period of time.

Healthy fats -- Instead of avoiding fats totally - which is NOT a healthy choice - try healthier kind of fats such as extra virgin olive oil, avocados, almonds, salmon, olives etc.

Proteins -- they are composed of amino acids which are the building blocks of the body. They help sustain the body with energy & fortify it against disease. In addition, proteins help support muscle meaning, as you lose weight, you won't deplete your muscles in the process. Protein is therefore important for weight - loss. The main source of protein are animals. Foods that are high in protein include, milk, meat, egg, fish, chicken, & beans. 

That's my take on what to eat & what not to eat for a weight - loss eating regimen and it's currently my personal guidelines. See how you can slowly ease into healthier eating choices and remember to stay informed about what you are eating by reading labels & asking questions. And of course, always keep portions in mind. It's been said, too much of everything is not good. Same goes for any healthy eating regimen. Eat varieties for each meal & don't concentrate on just one food type no matter how good they are! Your body needs the whole to function properly. Feed your body what it needs in the necessary proportions to lose weight properly.




2 comments:

  1. I like this! Many years ago, I loved pop (soda) so much, I don't think I went a day or week without it. The same goes for fast food. McDonalds was my favorite spot back then. Now,I don't drink soda or eat fast foods. I haven't done so in years.

    My go-to drink any day, is water. So many people complain about how they dislike the taste of water. It's funny to me because, I don't seem to understand why. Haha.

    I'm a bread lover (not good, haha), so I do lean toward the wheat and whole grain ones. I'm cutting back though.

    Thanks for your input! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sis! Glad you like it. Ahhh! We've all been there...McDonalds!
      I also L.O.V.E water and the taste! Adding some lemon spices it up a bit.
      Yup..also a bread & rice lover but it's worth the switch to whole grain.

      Delete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top