"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Know My Roots : Sisi


-source-



Sisi -- [pronounced seesee]

is the Yoruba word for a young lady. Often used as a term of endearment, It's no wonder the words sisi mi [my young lady] can be usually heard in places such markets, shops & restaurants. It's mostly used to call the attention of young ladies, therefore, it's become quite a common title. However, the word sisi had always sounded sweet to my ears and I believe that was the reason behind it's very first uses. It's original use, I believe, was to flatter & describe young, beautiful ladies. Whatever the case, let's face it ladies, age aside, it's always nice to be called a sisi once in a while.

By the way, check out the two sisi in the pic [not mine], are their geles & dresses hot or what? Not to talk of how pretty they are.


❤❤

8 comments:

  1. Fine fine sisi! Sisi does sound sweet to say and hear. I'm sure most Nigerian/Yoruba ladies love been referred to as 'sisi mi.' :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking that! Lol! About the ladies in the pictures being sooo pretty and their geles! Whew! And yes, it's sweet to be called a sisi!
    I love this "know my roots" series. So fun!

    Tell the World

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, we use sisi too, in most southern african languages actually. But depending on who says it, sometimes it doesnt sound so endearing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? Thank you for sharing that sis!

      Delete
  4. Who knew? My sister calls me Sissy. I might just start calling her Sisi!

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top