"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Know My Roots : Olorin


-source-

Olorin -- [pronounced olowrhin]

is the Yoruba word for singer. A word we use often to describe our favorite singers & gist about their songs. The word olorin is a fusion of two words : orin & oli. Orin is the Yoruba word for song & oli is the Yoruba word for owner of. Of course oli is never used alone but always joined with the word it's describing. For example : Olorin [the owner of the song], Olorun [the owner of the sky : God], Olododo [the owner of  truth] etc. 

There is a particular Yoruba singer I do enjoy : Asa. I love her unique style & songs. She is a beautiful, talented young woman that exudes originality. I love how she is herself & she is using her distinct voice to create beautiful songs. I also love the way she mixes Yoruba with English in some of her songs to create something spectacular...Sounds good & the words run deep. A woman truly connected with her roots. For those that are wondering, ASA means CULTURE in Yoruba. 

Check out my two favorite Asa songs...

Eye Adaba


So Beautiful [My favorite]


By the way, I have had a lot of people come up to me telling me I look like or remind them of Asa. Please, I need your weigh in on this. I don't think we really look alike, apart from the glasses of course...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Funbi, I've nominated you for an award @ http://peacelovenhair.blogspot.com/2013/01/thanking-academy-liebster.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Robbi!!
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top