"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Know My Roots : Gele

-source-



Gele -- [pronounced Gehlay]

is the word for the traditional, gravity-defying head tie Yoruba women wear, especially during special occasions. It comes in many varieties - fabric, size, colors, motifs - & is very versatile. What's more, one gele can yield many different styles! The gele has been worn for centuries by Yoruba women, however, the art of wearing it is still a mystery to many but once mastered it's an amazing piece of accessory for multiple occasion. Nowadays, some women call professionals to help them tie it while others ask aged women around them. Personally, my mom has been my professional...She can work any gele and do whatever style in just minutes. It's truly an art. I've attempted doing it myself but boy...what a mess! I am really working on getting to do it on my own. This means paying careful attention when my mom is at work with it. Though a centuries-old accessory, don't get it twisted, the gele still turns many heads today!

However, it's not only women that have the gift! "Segun Gele" as he is called, is making a name for himself as a master of tying gele! For those of you in the USA, be on the look out for him. Check out his video below :



me - rocking one mean gele


[p.s : Know My Roots - is the new name for the Yoruba Word Of The Week segment ;)]


14 comments:

  1. You look so cute in your iro and buba! What was the occasion? My mom too can tie a mean gele. I have to start learning as well, because when I get married how is that going to work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you!! :) It was all-praise Sunday at church. My point exactly! Need to get all we can get from our moms before we go to the altar! lol

      Delete
  2. You look wonderful honey! Man, I agree with Funmi! I NEED to LEARN!!!!! Cause I can't go running to Mum when I'm married can I??? Lol


    Tell the World

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to learn last year. It's so much harder to do than you would think. You look regal missy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sis! :)
      I agree with you sis, It definitely isn't as easy as it looks

      Delete
  4. I don't care how you call the section, as long as I can still learn a yoruba word here and there... I try as well at home, but since my man is trying to learn my language and needs to, I wait and take it slowly. Thank you for letting us know your roots! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love that picture of you! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look so pretty! That color is perfect on you.

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top