"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Thursday, October 18, 2012

3 Years Post Perm - A Retrospective


It is with great joy in my heart that I bounce back into the cyber world. God is good & I am sure this testimony is also yours. Thank you to all. May God reward your secret & open acts of love accordingly.

Mid - September marked my 3 years post perm anniversary. I give God all the glory for bringing me this far & carrying me through all the highs & lows. He has been truly faithful. Looking back, I see a young, hesitant & clueless woman stepping into a territory she barely knew but today, I thank God for all the knowledge I have acquired along the way; the experiences that have given me a more in depth understanding & the wonderful ladies that have been a blessing, encouragement & inspiration for me.

However, it is more blessed to give than to receive [Acts 20 : 35]. I'd like to think my 3 years so far have been a blessing to others; a source of inspiration; a discovery maybe a revelation...I've had the privilege of being in contact with a lot of ladies both through the internet and face to face. Many of those that approached me to my face obviously did not (and could not understand why I could) like my hair. It's not hard to read - the hard stares, the insinuating questions, the blunt replies - however, each situation has been an opportunity to explain what natural hair is all about and in no way justify myself because I don't have to explain myself to anybody. And then there are those that loved my hair but were just hesitant about taking the dive and just needed a little push of encouragement. Others were just plain ignorant and held firmly to their own point of view and it was their way or the highway...At the beginning of my journey, I had my family to deal with and it was no little thing but that experience helped me to handle any other person that had a problem with my decision. Sometimes we just don't know it but God uses our trials to bless others. If I had given up at the beginning of my journey because of all the negativity I was getting, I would not have been there to encourage, instruct and enlighten those that came my way. The journey's been filled with discoveries. Self discoveries and even discoveries about many other things. I started this journey just with the aim to wear a good looking afro (:]) now I'm all about much more than that. It even surpasses hair. God has opened my eyes to other things (through this journey) such as my health, my habits, the way I perceive and accept others & my talents. Of course there have been difficult times...but who said gold is found easily? There is the digging process & the refining process. The digging was at the beginning (before and after I took the bold step to stay natural). I had to dig inside of me to see if what I wanted to get into had any real meaning to me & why it mattered. The fire comes to cleanse all the filth that might be hiding the gold and it's beauty. I went through such experiences many times and though sometimes my hair was not directly concerned, it was affected. I was also able to use my natural hair journey to understand and get through other things. It's strange. We say it's just hair - and I do believe it is - however my natural hair journey has been a journey of growth. Growth on all levels. Or growth at different levels that just seemed to fuse in one. 
To be frank, it's not the hair but the internal changes I had to go through before and after I took up the journey.

On a general note, to all those that are contemplating the start of a new journey - whether it be a relationship, a business, a commitment, travel, a mission, a job, a new lifestyle - you have to have believed in it before going in or else any odd person can stroll by and tell you what you are doing is rubbish and you're just going to agree and give up. That's what happened on my first natural hair journey. I didn't have the right mindset yet to go down the path I am on now. Same goes for anything else you undertake. You have to know in you - mentally and spiritually -what you're doing is for real. And when you take that first step, you have to keep on going until you know it's time to go to the next level - whatever that is for you.

11 comments:

  1. This was such a beautiful testimony! And your hair is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I love your reference to gold and digging. You are simply priceless and may God hold you in the palm of his hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jen! A big AMEN to that prayer!
      God bless you richly!

      Delete
  3. This is soooo sweet and so well written it nearly brought tears to my eyes. Firstly, thank you for not giving up on your hair journey because if you had, I wouldn't be natural! And I wouldn't have all the great resources I have cause of u! U are truly a strong amazing woman of God. He has beautiful plans for u that will surprise u and those around u ( 1 Corinth 2:9). Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thanks hun!! AMEN to that prayer.
      Thank you for all your prayers, support and love!
      God bless you richly!

      Delete
  4. Hi! I admire that you gave God ALL of the glory; super cool! He is so worthy.
    I have a quick question if you don't mind answering. My hair has been natural for 2-3 years and it looks like the first picture on the left hand corner. I've gotten it cut before but nothing drastic, maybe up to an inch the most being the longest amount I've cut. I'm so discouraged to the point where I'm considering cutting it all off. It's really frustrating as the sides of my hair are so short and I found it spreading to a small section. There's also a small section in the middle on my hair where its shorter than an inch! Ugh..any suggestions??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Silbee.
      He is so worthy indeed!
      From what you've told me, I believe you have issues with length retention. The main culprits are usually insufficient moisture (or improper moisturizing techniques) and breakage due to wrong manipulating techniques. Do you moisturize often? Do you deep condition? Which products do you usually use? How do you manipulate your hair? How do you style? Please don't be discouraged. Try answering my questions so I can give you in depth advice...

      Delete
    2. I just did the big chop in may and completely cut it off. My hair was as short as a fade and is not two inches. The sides and middle of my hair are still a problem area, less drastic as before but still an issue. Maybe it is because I don't moisture as much? My hair tends to break and get so brittle if I don't moisturize daily, sometimes twice a day. Even the products(heavy creams) I could use can't be too heavy as my hair gets overwhelmed and breaks off too! I noticed it loves butters, deep condish treatments without so much protein etc. Pampered x100!

      Delete
    3. Is now* two inches

      Delete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top