"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Monday, September 3, 2012

Focus On...The "Baggy" Method


-source-
After weeks of battling with dry hair & trying to keep breakage at bay, I finally decided to try the baggy method. However, the baggy method is nothing new at all - to me or most naturals out there - I just never got to trying it. In fact, I never thought I'd try it but lo & behold, I did.

What is the "baggy" method?
The baggy method is a very simple method used for maintaining as much moisture as possible in the hair. This is achieved by moisturizing the hair then covering it with a plastic cap for a certain period of time to keep the moisture in & allow it to penetrate the strands.

Why does it work?
The baggy method works simply because it is exactly like steaming the hair - only slower. The heat from your scalp rises but cannot get out because of the cap which traps it. This heat helps the moisturizing agents in the hair penetrate the strand as much as possible and thus preventing moisture loss. This leaves the hair full of moisture. It's exactly like a no - rinse DC but a bit on a lighter scale.

My experience
First technique :  I applied the AREWA Naturals' Herbal Daily Moisturizer & on top of it the Moisturizing Leave In Conditioner before putting on the cap.
On the next day, I woke up to find out my hair had retained practically all the moisture. It was so moisturized I couldn't stop touching it. I decided to leave the cap on and only take it off when going out. It kept my hair really moisturized and as a result my hair was supple, shiny & soft.
Second technique : I put on the cap without having applied any moisturizing agent to mildly moisturized hair. I left it on for a few hours and my hair was so soft as a result.

Both results were great however, the first technique left my hair a bit damp, which is totally understandable. It's great for reviving dry hair. The second technique is a wonderful at keeping the hair moisturized while at home or even out (under a turban). It costs practically nothing to wear the cap & you are sure your hair is being moisturized & protected. For both techniques my hair is either in an updo or braids/twists. Neither really affect the final results.

Precautions
When doing the baggy method, avoid combing, excess-mnipulation, pulling etc. right after taking off the cap because your hair is a bit vulnerable (being filled with water molecules from the heat).
Don't attempt to over-moisturize your hair, by "baggying" right after deep conditioning for example, because this will tilt the moisture-protein balance and   lead to breakage. 

PLUS...
You can concentrate on baggying only part of your hair, for example your ends.


For now I am loving the results of the baggy method but I am still experimenting with it. I usually wear the cap under my satin bonnet while at home to help my hair retain maximum moisture.


Do you "baggy"?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I keep forgetting about the baggy method. My hair has been dry too due to the change in the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure sis! Try it...it's really effective when it comes to moisture retention.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this! I've tried the baggy method before but it's never quite worked out well for me! Oh well i'll try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure sis! Sometimes it takes a second or more try to get some of these techniques down. I'm really curious to know how it goes when you try it again!

      Delete
  3. I will definitely be trying this! Thanks for sharing love!

    Tell the World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure darling as always! :)

      Delete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top