"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Test to Testimony : Financies

source

The reality I live today, would have been a big time dream when I was younger. Things, on different levels, had not always been as they are today for me. I live - and have lived for most of my short life so far - in a country that ranked no.8 in 2011 when it comes to richest countries in the World & when I was younger, things seemed "okay" financially. Dad worked for the government from back home & mom could afford to stay home however when dad hit retirement, our finances suddenly took a deep plunge. I remember the times I did not have one cent in my pocket. I'd go to school with a packed lunch & watch all the other kids treat themselves to all kinds of goodies during the break while I pretended I wanted no part in their delightful break-time snacks. Why exactly am I telling you this story, you ask. Weeks ago, I posted a tweet "God wants to use your testimonies to help someone through their test" & today God reminded me of this and how I wasn't really practicing it. The first thing He brought to my mind was my finances. These past few days, I've had finances on my mind for more than one reason. The devil had been trying to shake me concerning my finances but I cannot forget what the Word says, "But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus" [Philippians 4 : 19]. I held on fast to this Word & God reminded me of past times. Today, no matter what the devil says or does, I have a testimony concerning my finances because they were not what they used to be & if my God that did it and has been doing it over the years was able to do it then He is still able to do much more today. Where is the trial today when God took me through lack. It wasn't only about not having a cent to boast of, there were other battles at home. Was it the rationing of food, essentials like toothpaste,shampoo, soap? What about the rent? I never imagined my mom would go back to work after the age of 50. I never imagined I could live in a one-room apartment with my parents & siblings. During those years, i didn't have it like the other kids & nobody wanted to understand (or even could for that matter) they much rather preferred to exclude me. Why couldn't I afford new clothes like the other kids, or rush to the candy shop like the others after school? Those were trying times but as I stated above, this is my testimony concerning my finances. Today, I have a job & I find God providing things I never thought I could ever afford. I give the glory to Him alone. I didn't recount my tales to eat off your sympathy - I have never, ever been the recipient of pity & I will certainly not start today - but rather to encourage anyone going through financial difficulty. I know God uses the testimonies of others to strengthen us through our tests. If God took me through such financially challenging times to bring me here then what kind of financial trial can I go through without that FAITH that God has got it covered? Tests come in different forms you just have to keep your faith burning. I don't know who this post pertains to but let me take time to encourage you. I have been at a low when it comes to finances that looking back now, it seems like I'd read a book but let me assure you that it was my reality. Just hold on to God because if He can do it for me, He can do it for you too. Now remember to always, & I mean always, pay your tithes no matter how little you have it. If you cannot honor God in the little things, I have to tell you that He cannot trust you with greater things. "Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much" [Luke 16 : 10]. God doesn't need your money, just your obedience. Tithing, just like circumcision in the old testament, is a sign of obedience & submission to God; it's a sign of a greater covenant written in our hearts : to serve & love God with our everything. I know it can get hard, real hard, especially if you have responsibilities. You might be near homeless, or in debt but please don't you dare compromise. Compromise does not yield miracles, no matter what. It might bring temporary satisfaction but the long lasting effect might be quite grave. I'm going to be real right now & say : Ladies, no matter how thin your finances get, never, ever, ever, sell your body for money. This is not God's plan for your life. I know you're probably saying "but I have a kid" or "I'm near homeless" but please listen, trust in God & He will honor it. "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own" [1 Corinthians 6 : 19]. I don't know what your situation is & frankly it doesn't matter because whatever it may be, God can handle it. Trust in Him. With prayer, perseverance & obedience God has brought me & my family this far. We did not beg neither did we go hungry. God has been faithful & He always is to those that trust in Him.
Now my prayer, as I conclude is - not only for myself, but also for you all - found in Proverbs 30 : 8 - 9 : 
"Give me neither poverty nor riches,
    but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
    and say, ‘Who is the Lord
Or I may become poor and steal,
    and so dishonor the name of my God."

When it comes to finances, God can handle it, just like He can handle whatever else concerns you. All you need to do is trust Him totally & honor Him with whatever He gives you.


8 comments:

  1. This is powerful and very enlightening! I thank you for sharing this, because I've had experiences similar to yours. But thank God for today and for a better tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the glory be to God alone sis. Yes indeed, thank God for a better tomorrow!! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks a lot for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the glory be to God alone sis :)

      Delete
  3. I like the prayer in Proverbs....God bless you for that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the glory be to God alone sis :) Amen! Likewise, God bless you too!

      Delete
  4. This came right on time. Thank God for this. I have to remember "In all things give thanks"

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top