"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Friday, June 1, 2012

Tagged! -- Letter To My 16 Year Old Self







 I have been tagged once again! This time by the lovely Aurélie of La Petite Sirène à Londres. Her blog is packed full of her natural hair experience, great videos & make-up advice. Thank you Aurélie, it's really a pleasure.

This tag is quite different and unique in many & one ways : I am to write a letter to my 16 year old self. Before being tagged, I'd never heard of such but when I did, I wan excited to get to it. However, it wasn't an easy task. I searched back & tried recalling the girl I was. I wasn't too pleased with the memories that flooded my mind. But it was still with great pleasure, that I penned down this letter :

Child, I have much to say but for your sake, not everything is best revealed now. Note, I called you child. It's not because of how you look but I call you child because of the way you still think & the habits that you are still accustomed to. You are still naive in many ways & this, along with much of your mannerism, will cause you much pain & leave you with many scars that will fail to heal until long after the wound has been created. Your image about yourself will change - though it will take a while. You will remain insecure about your looks for a long time & it will be a while before you can truly look in the mirror and be happy with what you see. For some time, your weight will still be an issue & in your mind, you will continue to debase yourself around other girls. As a result, your self esteem will remain stunted. Don't bother yourself about trying to please everyone anymore because it will never work. One lesson you will learn further down the road is that you cannot please everyone & you are best being yourself. Let me warn you, you will be mostly misunderstood, greatly taken for granted & even insulted. Concerning your many dreams & goals, you will drop the childish ones & pick up other ones as you go along. Whether you accomplish them or not, that is in your hands but know one thing : your potential only grows from here. Accept positive change - no matter how hard - with arms wide open, it is for your own good! When you fully accept yourself - yes, it will happen - your peace will be complete. But even before that occurs, your relationship with the one person that has always been there will have to grow. Jesus is that person. As you grow nearer to Him & He draws nearer to you, your confidence will begin to anchor around Him alone & He will begin to mould your confidence. Many hard lessons about life & people will be learnt along the way my dear, but for now, let me leave you with this : no matter what happens & no matter how much your world shakes, hold on tight to Jesus - your rock.


Though Aurélie didn't mention any rules, I am tagging 7 blogs & would love them to tag 7 other blogs :









16 comments:

  1. Beautiful letter, so true that at 16 even though we are under the illusion that we have grown up and are already mature, we are so far from it and are stil children. I loved the part about letting go of some dreams, that is a true sign of maturity when you forget your plans and be about the Master's plan/s. Love that picture of you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sis!! Yes, we HAVE to let go of some things to really grow up! Thanks again for the tag

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for this tag Sugar! It's such a good one! I will get to it as soon as I get the time.


    Tell the World

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely letter!!! It spoke to me! Thanks for the tag! I have to put a little thought into it, so I will get to it after the weekend.
    Stay blessed, Funbi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sis!! It's a pleasure :) Can't wait to read it

      Delete
  4. Aww. This is so sweet and inspiring. I love the statement you made about not trying to please everyone.

    Thanks for the tag. I'll get to it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sis!! Can't wait to read yours :)

      Delete
  5. Just got the time to read this. What a lovely letter. I'm the kind of person that while watching some of them futuristic Sci-Fi movies and I see all that stuff about time travel, I really do wish I could go back and tell the "me" of then certain things that would help AVOID some hurt, headache...etc. But I give God all the glory. If I could really go back in time and could avoid certain things that have happened, I won't be the person I am today. GLORY BE TO GOD. TRULY LOVE, this creative tag!


    Tell the World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sis!! Yes, if we do take out some of the pain we'd also be stunting our growth!

      Delete
  6. This is a unique and creative one. And I love your advice to your 16 year old self,,,,,similar to what mine would be:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My letter to my 16 year old self is up. Please read at your leisure. In the meantime, I appreciated reading yours. Well done and heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sis. Will get to it asap!

      Delete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top