"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Weight Loss : Weight Loss Equals Loss Of Confidence?

source


It is without doubt that many of us women, of different races, decide to shed some weight, at least once in our lifetime. However, the reason behind the common goal is quite diverse. Each woman, wants to loose weight because of one reason or the other. For some, it's to loose excess pregnancy weight, for others, their health demands it. The motivation behind it is different for each woman nevertheless, there are two huge categories that classifies the mental state of a woman when she decides to loose weight. Lacking confidence & filled with confidence. These are the two categories. 
Unfortunately, most people believe when a woman decides to loose weight she has already lost her self confidence. This is not true, but this supposition has been encouraged by the negative effects that the media has had on women all over the world, especially the young ones. With the television, magazines & "celebrities" telling us how to look, how big how hips should be, what dress size we should wear, it's pretty hard not to cave in and the desire to mould our bodies according to their standards of beauty sets in.  We become dissatisfied with ourselves, what we have, what we are & go out of your way to look like what is blasted on the television every single day. This eventually leads to a lack of self confidence & and a blindness towards one's unique beauty. Sadly, some women have cut our standards, goals & expectations according to the norm the media sets when in fact, there is no norm & we are all beautiful in that special way God has given us. 
On the other end of the spectrum are the women, that, though not lacking any self confidence in themselves, desire to loose weight. This desire can come from not being satisfied with one's physical state & seeking healthier eating habits. 
There is in fact no direct correlation between weight loss & a loss of self confidence but I will say this for those that might be pushing themselves into weight loss just to shape themselves according to the standards of I don't know who & I frankly don't care who : Please don't. If you are okay with the way you are (and if your health is okay with it) why try & change yourself according to other people's expectations. Be yourself. Don't let nobody tell you how to look. Your body is special & unique. Learn to love it & embrace it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming it's that easy, but once you get on that road, that's when satisfaction sets in. When you try to mould your body according to what others want or are doing, you are going to be doing it forever because you can't please everybody, but you can only please yourself & that's where satisfaction comes in.
We've all - most of us - have been there. That is why I dare to say loving yourself & embracing your own body is a process. Set your own healthy & realistic standards. If you think you need to loose a bit here & there because you know you can do better & live better than what you are doing now regarding your health then go ahead! Don't let anybody discourage you or tell you how far you should go (unless it's your doctor :) ). 
When people wonder why you are on a weight loss journey, let your confidence ring. You are on that journey, because it's what you want not because of what others are expecting of you.
If you are on a weight loss journey- stay strong - & if you are doubting whether to go on one or not - try talking to someone you trust & share your concerns. If your present body is not fulfilling your expectations, which by no means it should be to please anybody, then set yourself the goal you want to attain and go for it!

Remember, you, yes YOU, are ONE beautiful woman.

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;your works are wonderful" [Psalm 139:14]

❧❧



4 comments:

  1. I agree with you, the fact that a woman decides to loose weight does not equate low self esteem.Recently i decided to loose some weight and its going well, and i do not have self esteem issues...i was way over my bmi and decided to get healthy. we have to help people see the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your weight loss journey sis!! keep it up and go get those results you seek! Yes, people do have to see the light. Thanks for passing by sis!

      Delete
  2. I hear you. I've been trying to lose my baby fat and I have a thyroid problem. Just when I'm losing, boom I will gain it all back for no reason. My husband loves me regardless and I'm fine with being big, but we want more children and I need to lose the weight for a healthy pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand sis! Keep on trying & I pray God helps you through!

      Delete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top