"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Friday, May 18, 2012

Skin Care : Green Tea Toner






I started the quest to take better care of myself from head to toe & inside out some time last year & since then, my quest to better my skin regimen had begun. After doing some ample research and realizing I could not use most of what I already had (in fact everything, the only thing I still kept was my black soap) on deck for my skin, it was like starting a fresh. And as I threw out the unhelpful products out of my life, I knew I had to throw in some healthy habits too! 
Toning was one of them.
I'd never really toned regularly. I might have tried some toners but never used them in anywhere near a religious manner. Now that I was determined, the issue wasn't getting into the habit, it was getting a suitable toner. If you read the post I made about toners, you will realize it's not such an easy task. You may have to play around with different products to find just the right one or try and make one for yourself depending on what your needs are. I ended mixing different things at different times & got different results. They were all mostly good with minor issues I could over look. But, all that changed when I tried something new : green tea toner.
Green tea [harvested from the leaves of the camellia sinensis tree] is packed with a number of potent antioxidants. These antioxidants are called catechins and are great for internal use against many conditions such as cancer (though it is not considered a solid fact, many have claimed it as true), weight loss & even gum disease. They are also great for external use on the skin because they fight free radicals. Free radicals are molecules missing an electron. These molecules are unstable because they are always seeking to steal electrons from other molecules in their voisinage. These molecules ultimately cause damage to the skin. Free radicals are caused by toxins in products & the environment but most especially from the sun's UV rays. Thus green tea is perfect for repairing skin damage, balancing the skin's pH (because of it's acidic pH) and cleansing, amongst many other things.
Now do you see why green tea is indispensable for any healthy skin care regimen?

The green tea toner contains : 100 ml [3.4 fl oz] pure water you can substitute it with an hydrosol -- I have tried it with rose water and it's just as great) // 1 green tea bag // 1 tbsp of ACV // 2 drops of carrot EO / 2 drops of tea trea EO

Directions : Boil the water in a pot over low heat. When boiled take it off the fire and add the tea bag. Let steep for at least 30 minutes. Take the bag out and add the other ingredients then bottle.

Why these ingredients? Well green tea, we've talked about. 
ACV adds to the acidic pH and is a great cleanser. Fights bacteria and other impurities without stripping the skin of it's oils (that can cause conditions such as acne).
Carrot EO is great for repairing skin tissue & cleansing.
Tea tree EO is a great cleanser.

You can add a bit of honey to the mix for mild cleansing and moisturizing.

The pH of the mix of this mix is 4. An acidic pH is ideal to fight bacterial infection.
I keep the mix in the fridge, use it day & night after washing my face & before moisturizing. It lasts about 2 weeks and does not go bad before then. 

FUN Facts
Did you know, green tea along with black & white teas are all harvested from the leaves and buds of the same tree but just undergo different amount of oxidation and processing?

-&-

And I bet you didn't know I love tea, drink it all year round & use tea from head to toe!

Do you tone? 
If so, what do you use?

❧❧

5 comments:

  1. J'adore ta façon de rédiger tes post c'est super bien détaillé bien fournis et tout vraiment chapeau

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup ma soeur!! C'est toujours avec plaisir! :)

      Delete
  2. I use a DIY Green Tea Toner (green tea & tea tree essential oil). It works wonders for my skin and I even have family hooked on it
    (my lil' sis and Aunt).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great sis! Is it just green tea & tea tree?
      Thank you for sharing.

      Delete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top