"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Good - Bye Bentonite Clay?

source


As most of you would know,  this is not the first time I am posting about bentonite clay. In fact, I have used it numerous times on my hair & a few times on my skin.
This naturally occurring ingredient is in fact sediments of volcanic ash. Being one of the most powerful clays known to man, it is used to treat both internal & external ailements. Bentonite clay has the amazing ability to absorb dirt, toxins, heavy metals & anything else that's not supposed to be there . A real detox ingredient if you know what I mean. The mechanism is quite simple. Bentonite clay attracts these unwanted molecules with it's negative charge, internalizes them & as bentonite is washed away, so are they.
At the beginning of my natural hair journey, I was hearing so many things about this clay at practically every corner, however, I could not get my hands on it until much later. I was very excited to try it out but unfortunately, my hopes were not matched by the results I got. But of course, being the optimistic woman I am, I still had high hopes for it. You see, if you read the post I wrote about my first experience, it wasn't that bentonite clay didn't work...Oh no, in fact I believe it does what it's supposed to just fine but it's more a question of my hair not being able to handle it. The first few times, my hair was okay, the results good & the effects not bad but these last few times I've used it, it has just DRIED my hair out. I am not exagerating. I normally use it with coconut milk to help moisturize my hair but I have not been getting the feeling it is working. 
Again, please don't get me wrong, bentonite clay works great and does it's job but I don't think it's an ingredient my hair can take. I have very dry hair by nature, and when I say dry, I don't mean your every day kinky dry hair, I mean DRY hair & using ingredients that make it even drier is not an option. I know, I know..I hear you saying "but why don't you just use a moisturizing deep conditioner?" I do &  every time too but when my hair gets so dry, it takes much more than a moisturizing conditioner to get it right back on track. Bentonite clay is very potent but I cannot keep using something beneficial in one thing but is detrimental in another area.
This is my experience & I would love to hear your experiences with it. But, on a quick note, let me mention I have been battling with my hair a bit lately...Dry hair, little ability to retain moisture, strength fluctuations, dull...Let me not bore you.
I have therefore decided to stop using bentonite clay for a while.
But...I am open to the fact that bentonite clay might not be the sole culprit or culprit at all of the results I got during my last treatments with it.
I'll be expecting your inputs on this one ;)

❧❧

14 comments:

  1. Ugh...I had the same result. My hair is dry like brillo pad dry (even after DC). Had much better results using it on my face along w/raw honey and following with coconut oil + shea butter (at night).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you mean sis! It is quite good on the skin though.

      Delete
  2. I have not used it. I've been thinking about trying it, but I'll continue to ponder it. Is it possible that it would work at certain times of the year for you and not all year round? But if you've used it several times, you may have a few seasons under your belt to gauge that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, I also thought about that. Generally, it is quite drying for my hair so when my hair is really dry prior to application, the clay has an even worse effect. Concerning the seasons, it actually worked better in the winter but maybe it's because Iw as more stricter about retaining the moisture in my hair. Thank you for the input sis.

      Delete
  3. I use it and i really like it, it does not strip my hair :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice!! It works great for most naturals so I must be one of the minority :)

      Delete
  4. If it's not working for you pitch it. If you struggling with dry hair you may need to exam all you products to get to the heart of the problem. Sometimes it can be as simple of the change in the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed sis. I am really thinking through my regimen & products right now. And of course, the season can have an effect. Thank you for the input sis :)

      Delete
  5. See? When you know your hair, you know what it likes and doesn't like. Do your thing and ditch that clay if its adding unnecessary drama to your hair life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed sis! That's just what I am going to do for now.

      Delete
  6. Did the same thing for me, all of the glowing reviews made me think I was nuts. I tried it with different things and a variety of pH levels but the results were still less optimal than my usual cleansing/conditioning method. It's not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you mean sis. I thought I was doing something wrong with all the wonderful reviews about it.

      Delete
  7. This is my Bentonite clay mixture and it does not dry out your hair.

    Bentonite clay - about 1/2 cup or so
    Apple cider vinegar about 1/3 cup
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 whole egg
    3 tablespoons honey
    1/3 cup full fat plain yoghurt (I use Greek yoghurt)

    Mix that all together well, then add aloe vera juice to get it to the consistency you want.

    Wet your hair lightly (never apply clay on dry hair!!) then coat hair and scalp with the clay mixture. Cover head with a plastic cap or bag, then a warmed towel. Let mixture stay on hair for 45 minutes. Rinse out with lukewarm water.

    Hair will be soft, moisturized and combout will be miraculously easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborrah!
      Thank you for sharing sis! :)

      Delete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top