"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Soul Food : Moving On

"But one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead"

Philippians 3 : 3


Most of us are familiar with this popular verse brother Paul included in his letter to the Christians residing at Philippi and although I'd applied it in the past, there wasn't a much more timely moment in which to bring it to reminder than a few days ago. The exact day it struck me was on birthday, this past Sunday. After the celebrations, I seemed to find myself in my head, reminiscing & bringing old times to mind. Before long, I started smoldering with past feelings of pain, regret & disappointment. I made a decision to shake off these feelings but this decision was only put in serious motion after this verse was brought to my mind.

When brother Paul was writing this, he must have had numerous thoughts, recollections & memories from his past that the devil might have tried to use to haunt him. Being an ex-persecutor of the Church, you can imagine how deep the feeling of regret could run & what about his noble birth? But he had made up his mind to forget those things that are behind and to strain for what is ahead.

Past hurts, disappointments, lost opportunities, fear etc. These are the things the devil can use to haunt us, things he can use to slow us down. Forgetting is hard, there is no doubt about it, but it's the sole source of total healing. You cannot focus on your future if you are still looking over your shoulder to the things that make up your past. Whether it be in regret, pain or fear. Forgetting the past is key to living your future to the fullest according to God's will.
Personally, just recalling specific moments in my past makes old wounds fresh & opens the door for fear to whoosh in but I have come to realize I have to actively make the decision to forget. I cannot be passive about it. I have to forget so I can live out my best possible future. Leave the pain, the bliss or whatever is of the past in the past. Concentrate on the future, "straining toward what is ahead".

But what is ahead? We know for sure that, "there is surely a future hope for you, 
   and your hope will not be cut off" [Proverbs 23 : 18]. As Christians, bought by the priceless & precious blood of Jesus Christ and through His sacrifice made co-heirs with Him [Romans 8 : 17], what we are to strain ahead for is our eternal life with Him. We have to strain ahead, forgetting the past, because our destiny, our eternal life with Christ, is much more important than that. We have to forget the past & work towards our future here on earth according to the will of God so that we may spend eternity with Christ. 
What we always seem to forget is that, the past has no say in our future & this life we are in is not the end of it. This life is a race & where we spend eternity depends on how we finish the race. So now, if we are running a race how can we be looking back or anywhere else? The consequence of running, and looking back or loosing view of the finish line is stumbling. May this not be our portion in Jesus' name.
So let us - as children with a future & sure hope - release those things that are of the past & strain towards that future God has prepared for each and every one of us, with our eyes fully on the finish line, which is Jesus Christ our Savior. 

Let go of yesterday, today, you can build yourself to be a better you tomorrow.

❖ 


8 comments:

  1. I sooo needed this..thank you so much hun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the glory be to God sis. I'm so glad it was of help.
      Blessings

      Delete
  2. Soooo well and beautifully written. Thanks for the reminder Sis! God bless you and may He continue to speak through you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the glory be to God sis!! AMEN!! Blessings to you too!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing that word with me today. I really needed that!

    Please visit my blog and join my site if you'd like

    http://splashkouture.blogspot.com

    xoxo - Crissy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the glory be to God alone sis! I am so glad it was of help!
      Will check out your blog right away sis!

      Delete
  4. I just read this....almost two months late but it's never too late. Been down and out especially today...trying to move on from something in particular but the littlest things take me back and I'm just full of regret, pain, hurt,what-ifs. Reading this just reminded me that I have to be more aggressive in moving on....can't afford to be passive. I owe it to my future. I never saw this verse from this angle. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the glory be to God sis! I thank God it was really of help. As you rightly stated, we can't be passive when moving on it's an active decision.
      Blessings to you too sis!

      Delete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top