"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Monday, April 2, 2012

Skin Care : The Hype About Beautiful Skin

source

Growing up, any woman of any race, culture or color, can truly testify to the importance allocated to beautiful skin, no matter her up bringing. Personally, as a child, I grew up seeing the women pampering their skin & heard them talking about their concerns about it. When I became of age, it was if the word of knowledge was passed down to me : strive to have beautiful skin. My search to get & maintain beautiful skin began during the early days of my teenage life. At first, I didn't used to pay attention to my mother's occasional, oh your skin is looking dull or so remarks, but as I matured and opened my eyes to what was truly going on around me & how the world demanded first degree beauty - that is, beauty based on appearances - I began to care. I didn't have skin issues like some of my comrades during puberty thus making it easier for me to get away with overlooking some basic skin care routines but I did have a few concerns about dark spots, blemishes and an uneven skin tone. Immediately I began earning my own small salary, a good part of it was dedicated to my skin care routine. Creams, moisturizers, cleansers...And as I bought I realized the products I bought demanded the purchase of other likely products. Unfortunately, my spending did not match my satisfaction in anyway. The more I spent, the less i was satisfied with the results I was getting. The moisturizers could barely help my very dry skin, I still had dark spots and my uneven skin tone was even no where near being evened out. 
It didn't take long before I abandoned my quest for beautiful skin.

Now, looking back, I realize the hype about beautiful skin is not really the problem. In fact, a beautiful skin is an indication of a healthy body. The skin is the biggest organ of the whole body and is used to rid the body of some waste fluids. The problem is actually the way we go about beautiful skin. These days, there are hundreds of products being marketed as "the perfect" that or this for our skin. Whether it be facial creams, toners or gels, or even body creams or exfoliating gels. It is just ridiculous. With the purchase of one product, you might need to get three others. This is just unnecessary cluttering & spending. Firstly, to obtain beautiful skin, there is a basic education that we all need to obtain as a platform. This will guide us to buy & use the right products the right way. Secondly, we need to know that, less is truly more when it comes to beautiful skin. You do not need a cabinet full of products to get it. If you do even a little research, you'll find out beautiful skin is not as expensive as it being marketed. 
Look around you, beautiful skin is at your reach. To get beautiful skin, I would advice you to go about it naturally & with a simple approach. How simple beautiful skin is if you know how.

I'm also on this journey & I've been now for months. I am not going to gather unnecessary products because my skin cannot take it and neither does my wallet need to. Use everyday products in your kitchen to get that perfect skin. Cleanse with natural clays & gentle soaps; tone naturally with a tea and don't shy out of moisturizing with butters & oils. The choice is huge! It just depends on your skin needs & what you want to achieve.
Stay tuned for fun, easy recipes for naturally beautiful skin!

What are some of your "beautiful skin search" experiences?

♥♥


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post Funbi. I was just talking about this with my sister. She's a nursing student and I took an EMT certification that I failed miserably but that's not the point. Lol, I learned a lot and skin is the biggest organ in the body and it's so beautiful and we gotta take of it and I don't want this to be a long response. I suffered from major acne. Oh it was the worse. So bad that in fifth grade this boy had my whole school calling me monster. I am still healing from that experience. However I tried everything on the outside from noxema to neutrogena to aveeno. And nothing. As an adult who still has acne but no where like I did as a child, I am learning that you have beautiful skin from the inside out. Just like God makes his people beautiful, food and the things we intake make us beautiful like avocado and cooking with coconut oil as opposed to vegetable oil. Eating more leafy vegetables and fruits. :D God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! It's a pleasure sis! Thank YOU for your comment! I really enjoyed reading it. You are right, beautiful is obtained from the inside out & with the simplest of ingredients when caring for it from the outside. About the EMT certification, I hope you are planning on taking it again & by God's divine power, excellence is your portion! You will surely soar. Concerning your past experiences with acne, my sister had acne too as a teenager and boy you are right, practically nothing (sold commercially) works but simple, effective, less expensive ingredients. In fact, most of those commercial products worsen it because they stress the skin the more. Oh and children can be so cruel. Thank God for His healing power. Once again, thank you for your comment sis! God bless you richly!

      Delete
  2. Hello I should have poosted the question about soap here but anyway, in my search of a beautiful skin I found that a weekly facial care consisted of 3 steps oil rinse / scrub / pink clay mask seems to work well. I am currently testing to lightly oil and massage my face before using black soap the night and in the morning I use a micellar cleansing water bought in a beauty shop. My main problem is the lack of diligence... :s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! No problem! That sounds really good! Yes indeed...diligence is key for a firm skin care regimen! Keep it up sis!

      Delete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top