"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Monday, March 26, 2012

2-Years BC Anniversary!


Yes!! The title says it all : exactly 2 years from yesterday- 25th of March - I took the bold step of grabbing the only scissors in the house & cutting off all of my permed ends after 6 months of transitioning. 
To be frank, the title doesn't quite say it all. It says nothing about the journey so far, the ups & downs, disappointments, doubts, mistakes, joy and lessons . 

As I sit here, writing this post, these past 2 years play continually in my head like a video. The timeline starts from March 25th 2010 & from there, pictures of the different phases follow. I see myself going from a TWA to that awkward phase when it's too big to be called a TWA and still too short to fall forwards. I see my first puff, then first bun...And then here I am, today, 2 years later.
Truth is, it's been a very eventful 2 years when it comes to my hair. I have tried things on my hair I never thought I'd do. I have attained the most healthy head of hair I've ever had...Many lessons have certainly been learnt & healthy practices have become habits.

I'm not going to bore you with the details but it's been great. I would like to say thank you to all of you, for all your support, love & prayers. I appreciate you all more than I can even express

One detail I would like to share though is this : when I first decided to start this journey, everyone around me was skeptic about my decision & doubted what I was doing. For months, they thought my hair was not presentable, didn't look like it would ever grow healthy or be manageable. But today, 2 years later, everyone around me compliments my hair; my mom is fully natural & asks me for advice concerning her hair and what's more my lovely baby sister cut off most of her relaxed ends yesterday, the same day as my BC after months of asking me for hair advice. And guess what? My dad & mom all joined in on the fun of cutting her hair. The scene made me smile because 2 years ago, the situation had been the exact opposite. Now, I'm proud to say natural hair is the norm in our house. 
This is my testimony. I give God all the glory for bringing me this far & it is only by His grace that I have made it to this point & have learnt so much. I take nothing about my journey for granted. It has been a continual learning process. 
Now, I would like to say, for those that are newly natural or that are still pondering it, be bold, courageous & whatever you do, do it for you! Hold on to your journey & only strive to learn from your hair. Advice from other natural  is great but avoid bandwagons. Make it YOUR journey because each journey is unique.

With all that being said, I am excited about what's coming next. The new lessons to be learnt & sharing it all with you. Once again, thank you for accompanying me through my journey.

God bless you all!!

♥♥

12 comments:

  1. The pic actually looks nice. well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done funke!...to date I still have people concerned abt why I haven't permed my hair and parents constantly wanting me to relax it or braid or do something just to cover my natural hair lol...crazy...but I'm glad God gave me my hair....like you, sometimes i feel like cutting it all off, to relaxing it to God knows what other options there are just bcz I am frustrated...but I also love the fact that when I've kept it in braids for such a long time, i fall in love with it all over again...so beautiful is a person's own hair...thank God for mine lol...enjoy it...its a gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sis! Lol yes, I totally relate. Just stay strong on your journey and do what you are comfortable with! And you are right, hair is beautiful and I also thank God for mine!

      Delete
  3. Wow two years already. Yes all glory to God because without His strength I would have given up as well. I can't imagine how much more you've learnt now that you have reached the 2year mark. A bigggg congratulations! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sis!! Yes indeed, by his grace alone have I made it this far!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations!!! Two years is a glorious milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to you! When I look at your beautiful hair I think that could be me someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sis! Sis, your hair will continue to flourish! Keep up the great work!

      Delete
  6. CONGRATS SIS!!!! We nearly have the same BC date (25th of March!!!) except mine isn't a COMPLETE BC. Lol. Glprybe to God. So thankful to God for you. I see great things ahead for you through Christ, in SOOOO many aspects of your life and no one or nothing can stop WHAT GOD IS DOING. Love you SOOOO!

    Oh n thanks so much for all the love, adviise and so much more!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sis! AMEN to that sis! Thank you for all the support, love and prayers! Only God knows how much they mean to me! :)

      Delete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top