"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Skin Care : Combatting Dry Skin

source

I've been the owner of really dry skin from pretty much as far as I can remember. Battling with it through the years, I have come across countless body creams, lotions and pomades promising "moisturized", "smooth" and "soft" skin, however, these products weren't able to fulfill their promises when it came to my skin. I came to accept my dry skin and knew that there was no way I could shower and and not put something on my skin immediately after, or else, it would become so dry it would refuse to be moisturized and start to cause serious discomfort. 
It is only until recently that I found the remedy to my dry skin and have started enjoying my skin in a very new way. I now don't experience the discomforts that comes with outrageously dry skin because of some new things I have added to my skin regimen.

Firstly, I exfoliate. I use my West African sponge to do this. Exfoliating regularly helps remove dead skin that can hinder the penetration of moisturizing agents.

Secondly, I moisturize my skin as often as I can. Water is the best moisturizer and the best act of moisturizing the skin is taking a shower or bath.

Thirdly, I use products that penetrate the skin to not only moisturize but to seal in acquired moisture. I used to use a whipped butter mix and a water based cream but I have come to realize that these do not really penetrate the skin enough. The whipped butter mix doesn't really penetrate but just sits on my skin so when it rubs off my clothes, it leaves my skin unshielded and thus prone to serious dryness. The water based cream moisturizes but doesn't do much to penetrate at all either. 
This leaves me with only one thing : extra virgin olive oil. My skin has fallen in love with extra virgin olive oil. It started with just my face but now my whole body is benefiting from the goodness of extra virgin olive oil.
It's quite funny, because never did I think I would ever moisturize my body with an oil. When I was younger, I used to hear all kinds of myths about oiling the body. But my experience says otherwise. Using extra virgin olive oil has given me smooth, soft, totally moisturized and radiant skin. No oiliness or white scales after a few hours. Extra virgin olive oil has a lot of benefits for the skin : it softens the skin tissues and regenerates skin cells amongst many other things.
Not only has extra virgin oil gone from being a staple in my hair care regimen but it has also found it's way to my skincare staples.
 I really love what extra virgin olive oil does for my skin. If you also have dry skin, I recommend it 100%. Another moisturizing and skin penetrating oil is extra virgin coconut oil for those that would love a mix of oils.

How do you combat dry skin [for those that have it]?

♥♥

10 comments:

  1. She's gorgeous.

    Good tips..

    I use vitamin E (Jason Natural Products 57844 Vitamin E Cream 5 000 IU) which is absolutely amazing for my face and eczema (can't wait until it's gone)
    I use fruity olive oil but not continually just here and there and that works wonders too so I may have to step it up.

    Peace and Grace Sis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she sis!
      That sounds great! I've also tried lemon olive oil and I was amazed at the mix! Thank you for sharing! God bless you sis!

      Delete
  2. This post is right on time I need the "butter form" so will test to mix it with palm oil which hardens. Do you use it on your face too ? (I'm afraid of blacheads etc...)
    I have a supa dupa dry skin since my birth and this past weeks I've neglected it too much (yes grey skin, crocodile skin you name it...) So once again thank you for this article you've motivated me to stop this carelessness.

    Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the post was of help! I can totally relate to you sis! My skin is really dry too. Olive oil works great even for my face and no it does not provoke black heads or any of the such.
      Great day to you too sis!

      Delete
  3. Man, my hands suffered from the cold this winter. The just got REALLY dry. Your butter seemed to do the job, soo...A BIG THANK YOU! What would I do if God hadnt have put u in my life? ;)

    Tell the World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. That's really sweet. All the glory be to God. Glad I could be of help!! :)

      Delete
  4. I've never tried extra virgin oil on my skin, but I do have a few oils in my arsenal for those days when I'm prone to ashy knees and elbows. I love Rosehip oil, not only is it extremely moisturising, but it also helps naturally fade any scarring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing! I've heard really good things about rosehip oil!

      Delete
  5. Hi

    I have read your post on the west African sponge and am intrigued but have two questions 1. What is it called in Africa and secondly what is it made of? I inquired else where and was told twigs, the curiosity is killing me! Thanks!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara!

      1. Where I come from (South Nigeria) the sponge is simply known as the "native sponge". It's pretty widespread so you should be able to find it easily in West Africa.

      2. It's a network of thin tree bark (from which tree, I do not know).

      I really hope that helps. Don't hesitate to ask anymore questions you might have

      Delete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top