"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Questions We Ask : To Oil Or Not To Oil?

source

Oiling the scalp is a routine we are all pretty much familiar with because most of us started getting our scalp oiled or greased right from when we were kids. However, the question is, is oiling the scalp really necessary?
I will not be speaking about greasing the scalp which is practiced for the same reasons as oiling the scalp because greasing products are made with petrolatum which only clogs the scalp and impedes healthy hair growth.

Before concluding if oiling the scalp is necessary or not, let's list out it's benefits. Oiling the scalp has many benefits, from preventing dandruff and stopping itchy scalp to stimulating healthy hair growth
Many oils are beneficial to scalp health and can be used to oil it. Some of the best ones are : 

Jojoba oil - acts like the sebum produced by scalp and moisturizes the scalp and hair. It also protects the hair and cleanses the hair follicle.

Olive oil - helps with dry scalp and conditions it. It also helps get rid of dandruff

Coconut oil - conditions the scalp and keeps it moisturized. It also promotes hair growth and helps remove dandruff

Neem oil - helps with dry hair and stimulates hair growth. It also helps get rid of dandruff, helps stop itching and helps with psoriasis.

Castor oil - helps with hair growth and keeps the scalp clean

When it comes to oiling the scalp we have to consider scalp health. When suffering from dry scalp it is very beneficial to oil the scalp or when experiencing itchy scalp, temporary oiling would help. When suffering from hair loss, oiling is of great help. The answer to whether or not to oil the scalp depends on your scalp and hair needs. However, I would advice oiling the scalp from time to time to keep the scalp healthy especially during the winter when the scalp can get quite dry.


Do you oil your scalp? 
If so, with which oil?

♥♥

8 comments:

  1. I've been using vatika oil on my scalp, I just squeeze it out in a jar, it kinda reminds me of old school grease. I mixed in a little bit of castor oil in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wearing mini twists for almost two weeks and my scalp is starting to itch. Last night I considered oiling, but I started s second guessing because I've heard it will cause a dirty scalp. Since I will be washing in the next few days I think I'll try it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been using a product with castor oil in my problem area where my hair thinned out after my last relaxed in March 2011. I have seen no change and will be switching to jojoba oil and a rosemary oil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Aurélie : That sounds great! I've been hearing a lot of good things about the vatika oil.

    @ AllThingsMe : Hey! Thank you for stopping by. Firstly, oiling your scalp does not cause dirty scalp if you use the right oils. However greasing the scalp certainly clogs it and accumulates dirt. Oiling the scalp can certainly help with itchy scalp.

    @ JenJen : Hey sis. It depends how much castor oil the product contains and how good it is. How good the oil is (form of extraction) is how good it will work. I have heard good things about castor oil. Why don't you try massaging the oil into your scalp in it's pure form everyday for at least a few minutes. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use Avocado and grapeseed oils and I do have a super dry scalp so I think I will add Olive oil to my regiment to be a deep conditioner maybe. Thanks for encouraging it.
    Jojoba was really good for my hair. It's just very expensive here in NY.
    Hemp oil is good too but I don't like the way it causes my scalp to smell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Emme : That sounds great sis! I also use hemp seed oil but like you, the smell has been a lot to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do it each time I pre-poo currently it's once a week cause I'm in a challenge so I'm constent. I use a mix of castor oil + another light one at the moment it's my oil infusion and sometimes a little bit of avocado oil. When I plan to mix it with jojoba oil when I'll have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great sis! Jojoba is a great oil. I never used avocado oil...might have to look into that. Thank you for sharing sis.

      Delete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top