"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Soul Food : Living The Word


"Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful."

- Joshua 1 : 8




This is our portion of scripture for the week.

Many Christians go to church every Sunday and hear the word yet they still go into the world and do all kinds of things grieving to the Father's heart during the other six days of the week. Why don't they obey the Word of God, why is it that they only hear but not live out the Word they hear?
The answer to these questions is found in our scripture. Joshua 1 : 8 tells us that to be careful to do everything written in the Word, it always has to be on our lips and we always have to "meditate on it day and night". This is the truth of the matter. You cannot just live the Word just by listening to it or reading it alone, you need to eat it, chew it, swallow it then regurgitate it and ruminate it. This is relevant for every part of the word and every part of our walk with Him. Even Romans 10 : 17 tells us that "faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ". When you hear this message, which is delivered through the Word, you need to truly meditate on it. It's like when you are studying for a test. You cannot learn everything at once, it takes constant revising. It is the same thing for us, even on this glorious walk with Christ. If you do not do your homework, when the devil arrives to tempt you or  trick you, you will be vulnerable and thus give in. I pray this is not our portion in Jesus' name.

The word of God is life (John 6 : 63). It is what our soul needs to live. We all feed our bodies but often, our souls go hungry. If you do not have the Word of God in you, you cannot have God in you. It is a plain truth. "The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit and life" John 6 : 63  and "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" John 14 : 6 . Therefore, if the Word is life and Jesus is also life therefore, Jesus is the Word. Thus, without the Word, we cannot have Jesus in us and therefore, we cannot have life. 

To be like Christ, you need to internalize the Word which is Jesus. Jesus is the Word in person"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" John 1 : 1. To be like Christ, keep the Word, eat   the Word, speak it, think it, dream it...Let your life be about it. This is the only key to living out the Word and be like Christ.

Do not be discouraged. I am not saying learn your Bible by heart but I am saying take it a day at a time. Read the word and then meditate on what you have read. Write the verses that hit you the hardest and that you might be struggling with on paper and stick them on your mirror, fridge, folders just to remember them. Think about how to apply this word in your life, pray about it and ask God to help you live it out. Trust God. Let Him be part of your reading the word.


Just remember that, to live the Word, you have to become like the Word.

May God help us live out His Word and love it more than anything else.
Amen!!

♥♥

2 comments:

  1. You truly do not know how much this post was meant for me. It's crazy. I'm only recently (I've been in church all of my life - my dad is a pastor) discovered how important an vital the Bible is in attaining true salvation and the gift of eternal life.

    When I go days without reading the bible, my ways start to revert. It's crazy. I feel the longer you go without meditating on God's Word, the more corrupt and weak your mind and body becomes in resistance to God's will. It's like....my mind KNOWS the sinful activity is wrong, but it is SO weak and corrupt, that it bends so easily to fleshly desires.

    The Word is Key. Thank you, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Lacoya S. : All the glory be to God sis!! You are totally right! The Word is our FOOD. Without it, we cannot survive. I also notice when I do not read it enough or on time, I start to feel my spiritual sanity being threatened. "The spirit is willing, but the body is weak" (Matthew 26 : 41). Stay strong and stay blessed sis! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top