"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Protective Style Musings

source



Lately, mama has been advising me to get my hair braided professionally, just to change my look and get some stretched hair. I've been avoiding it for a while now but mama cornered me last week and got me to say yes, now the appointment has been made and I'm getting my hair done. 

So...this has got me thinking.
To begin with, I did not want to have anything to do with getting my hair done by someone else because I wanted to avoid breakage. Yes, getting your hair done by someone who is not familiar with natural hair could cause breakage because the person might get careless. However, I have decided I will set the rules...like for example, no using no small tooth comb to comb my hair, by NO means.

Secondly, I have been thinking about how this might mess up my beloved hair regimen. I know, I am a sort of perfectionist, not a perfectionist but a type of. I like to keep things as they should be. Therefore, if I should get my hair done, I would have to postpone at least one wash day. This is not really a problem though for now.

Thirdly, the idea, at the beginning was for me to get my hair braided without extensions but right now, I am thinking about doing box braids with extensions...DU DU DUMMMM! 
I know! But what can I say, I have been eyeing this style for months! I would love to rock it but I am also cautious of the disadvantages : heavy extensions, no washing for at least a month, inability to touch and feel my hair, 'fro-sickness...

I would love a small, tiny break from wearing my hair every day but I wouldn't want to do something that would damage my hair because this defeats the purpose....

I am seriously still thinking about it though but I would like to hear from natural divas who have rocked the box braids with extensions. If you are one of them, how long did your leave them in and what was the state of your hair afterwards? What was your over-all experience? How did you wear the box braids on a daily basis?

♥♥

8 comments:

  1. I recently wore box braids this summer.. I braided my hair myself by looking on youtube.. I left them in for about 7-8 months..any longer might break your hair out.. I still washed my hair weekly with shampoo and did cowashes every now and then.. it helped my hair retain growth I think.. just make sure you keep your scalp clean & moisturized and your hair should be fine. Hope this helped!

    xoxo
    MissCrystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Funbi! Well, I myself I've been wanting braids for the longest time now. Right now I have twist in my hair (no extensions). But this weekend, I'll be putting braids in my hair; by myself though. I just want something new that's why...and I really think braids fit me very well. Lol :).

    But, yeah I think you should get them if you really want to. Just make sure to set the rules like you said...and be firm with it. If not, some stylist would just do whatever they want, and not care about how they handle your hair. I didn't have a good experience the last time I had someone else do my hair (weave). And, I don't think I'll be having anyone else do my hair for some time now.

    I hope you do get braids though...lol. Good luck.

    foreversweetlybroken.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Crystal : Hey sis! Wow 7 months! Thank you so much for the tip sis! I remember your braids, they were gorgeous!

    @ *Sweetly Broken* : Hey sis! Thank you sis for the tips and encouragement!! Can't wait to see what your braids look like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as u set the rules, you should be fine. Tell them to be careful on your edges(one main reason I don't do extensions anymore).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant 7-8 WEEKS! lol..

    xoxo
    MissCrystal

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm getting braids I made it known to the braider that I don't want my hair pulled tight. Don't get your baby hairs braided leave some out and use gel to lay them down. Oil your scalp every other day and spray your braids with a leave in conditioner. Wash your hair every two weeks and sleep with a satin scarf. Oh don't forget not to pull your hair up in any style wait a couple of days after she finish. Don't get your hair too long mid length to your back the heaver your braids the more it's a chance it will pull your out.

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top