"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Thursday, November 10, 2011

How To Prepare Your Hair For A Long - Term Protective Style

source


It's now cold out and you might be thinking of putting your hair in a long - term protective style (long - term here refers to any period longer than two weeks) to avoid damage from the cold weather and to decrease manipulation to nearly zero. Well, that is a good idea. However, any protective style can have a reverse effect on your hair if you don't :

a) maintain it as required

b) put it in properly

c) take it out properly 

d) prepare your hair for the style

Today, we are going to look at the last point. How do you prepare your hair for a long - term protective style? Before putting your hair in any long - term style, it is highly advised to treat your hair properly and make sure your hair is in proper shape. Do not put your hair in a long - term protective style, especially one that involves extensions or a style that would stop you from caring for your hair (like a weave) if you are suffering from breakage. The treatments you undertake depend mainly on the length of time you want to leave the style in and what exactly the style is. The repercussions of not giving your hair a good  pampering before styling can be disastrous and you could end up with knots, dry hair, split ends, protein deficiency and all this only lead to serious breakage. 

Here is a checklist of things to do to your hair before attempting a long - term protective style :

Cleansing : Clean your scalp with a mild shampoo, natural clay or powder. Do not use shampoos that contain harsh surfactants to avoid irritating your scalp and drying it out. It is also highly recommended to clean the hair, preferably with a clarifying shampoo, clay or powder. I would recommend just using a very good, moisturizing shampoo for both or a shampoo plus a cleansing powder or clay.

Deep - Conditioning : Deep condition your hair with a very moisturizing treat to increase your hair's moisture level. If possible, deep - condition for a whole day or overnight to really get the most out of the treatment. 

Special Treatment : If you find your hair to be protein deficient, it would be beneficial for your hair if you did a homemade protein treatment. If you find your hair to be weak and lacking nutrients try a treatment that would help strengthen your hair. Leaving your hair in such a state before styling could lead to serious breakage.

Detangling : Detangle your hair with a very good conditioner. Use your fingers or and a comb/brush. Detangle thoroughly and take all the time needed to work on every part of your hair. Failing to detangle your hair properly could lead to serious knots while styling and make the style look very un - neat. I would recommend using a paddle brush after using your fingers or wide tooth comb to make the hair smooth and less prone to tangles while styling.

Moisturizing : This is a key part before styling. Depending on how long you want to leave the style in, try moisturizing with a generous amount of your favorite leave in and a moisturizing cream or spray. If your leave in is heavy enough, you can use it alone. 

Sealing : Seal in the moisture in your hair with a butter and oil mix to keep your hair moisturized, fortified and shiny.

It is best to prepare your hair just before styling. Depending on your schedule, the day before styling is an ideal time to treat your hair and prepare it for the style.


How do you prepare your hair for long - term protective styles?

♥♥

9 comments:

  1. i'm definitely thinking about doing a protective style (yarn braids) to get me through finals lol. i always do a thorough wash & deep condition. I have never done a protein treatment though, maybe i'll try one. i actually use a shea butter mix and water to braid so that seals in my moisture. I then spray every other day with a water and oil mixture and apply oil to my scalp as needed. I like to wash the braids as my hair gets "old" and then i re-do the front and back edges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Jessica: Sounds great sis!! Yes, protein treatments are highly recommended especially if your hair is protein deficient or tends to be. Do share how your yarn braids go sis! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wondering whether to braid my hair. The only reason why I don't like braiding is that my front hair my cut and my hair is kinda full, so I don't wanna mess the front up.

    Still thinking about it, though

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Africa Naturalista : I was also thinking about the same thing before getting by box braids. However, if the braids are well done and maintained, there should be no problem at all. Try weighing the two situations and pick the one that suits you and your hair best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am about 6 months natural and I was contemplating getting large box braids as a protective style. Everytime I braid my hair, whether for sew in or for box braids I experience major breakage...how can I prevent this??

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Anonymous : Breakage can be the consequence of many things. The two major reasons are : Lack of moisture and lack of protein. For more about this check out my Breakage 101 Series [right side of blog under the variety column] on moisture and protein balance. Breakage could also be caused by harsh treatment of the hair, like pulling, tugging, using the wrong tools etc. Try checking out the above list and see if you followed each step during the time you got breakage. Another cause could be not taking care of your hair properly while wearing the style or/and leaving the protective style for too long. I really hope this helps however, any other questions you might have are welcomed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog. I am planning on doing long box braids a little above my waist for college. I will be washing it weekly, putting in a light leave-in every morning, then oiling with castor oil as necessary. My problem is that the back of my hair (where the naps are lol) has suffered ALOT of breakage due to wool scarves I wear and it is about 7 inches shorter than the rest of my hair in length. What should I do to ensure the breakage stops, promote hair growth specifically in that area, and maintain it as it grows back. Sorry if this is too much

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog. I am planning on doing long box braids a little above my waist for college. I will be washing it weekly, putting in a light leave-in every morning, then oiling with castor oil as necessary. My problem is that the back of my hair (where the naps are lol) has suffered ALOT of breakage due to wool scarves I wear and it is about 7 inches shorter than the rest of my hair in length. What should I do to ensure the breakage stops, promote hair growth specifically in that area, and maintain it as it grows back. Sorry if this is too much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon!! I am really glad the blog is of help to you :)
      To ensure zero breakage, make sure you deep condition, moisturize and protect your hair properly before getting the braids. Also make sure the braids aren't too tight at the back because this could lead to hair loss. To promote hair growth massaging the scalp daily with oils is a really good technic. For more tips on hair growth check out this post for ample information on hair growth and length retention.

      Hope that helps :)
      Don't hesitate to ask anymore questions you may have

      Delete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top