"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Thursday, October 13, 2011

D.I.Y : Hair Comb + Ankara




Blessings and love beauties!!

Today's DIY project is all about funking up your hair comb. For those of you who have one of these just lying around, this is a quick way to make them 10 times more exciting to wear and match up with your outfits.
I initially got this idea during the Summer when I first started my DIY projects but a link was missing between the idea and how I was going to come about it. I first thought about gluing the fabric to it but after stumbling on this post on Tumblr, everything came together.

In less than 20 minutes, you're going to go from a plain hair comb to a fun, cute and custom hair accessory!

For this D.I.Y project, you're going to need :  a hair comb //  a pair of scissors // a tape //  chalk pencil // fabric of your choice //  at least 15 minutes

Since I love ankara and I think it spices up just about any look, I decided to go with it for this project.


Step one. You're going to cut out four 1'' by 12'' strips out of your fabric.

Step two. Tie two of the stripes together on one side of the comb and double knot them. 

Step three. Take one of the strips and take it in and out of the teeth of the comb. Skip a tooth at a time. Do the same thing with the other strip and take it through the teeth that you had left behind while working with the first strip. By the time you are done, you should find yourself at the middle of the comb. Leave these bits for later and make sure they are facing the back of the comb.

Step four. Repeat steps 2 - 4 with the two other stripes on the other side of the comb.
By the end, you should have four small stripes sticking out of the back of your comb at the middle. 



Step five. Tie the small pieces of fabric sticking out of your comb together and double knot them to prevent the stripes from unraveling. You can trim the ends after double knotting if there are ends still sticking out.


Please note : if you are using a small comb, then two stripes of fabric should be enough and you would use them for the whole comb and double knot them on both sides.

Now you have a new addition to your accessories!! 

Play around with different types of fabric and you can even use two different ones!

It's up to you to be creative now!

How do you funk up your accessories? 



10 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing!It's SO easy!.I have a lot of ankara pieces at home but no hair comb lying around.I can't wait to get one and try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very cute and creative! :)

    foreversweetlybroken.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too cool! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Natmane : It's a pleasure sis!! Can't wait to see yours!

    @Sweetly Broken : Thank you sis!

    @1BlessedNatural : It's always a pleasure sis!

    @Coilybella : Thank you sis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Sharon vuitton : Thank you sis!

    @ Kiki : Thank you sis!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ nadz890118 : Thank you sis!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top