"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Friday, July 15, 2011

Soul Food : Forgiveness


"Forgive, and you will be forgiven."

- Luke 6 : 37b

This is our portion of scripture for this week.



We all know that 2 + 3 = 5 right? It's a simple equation that always works. This is a mathematical equation, but there are other types of equation in life that also works all the time.

Our verse for this week is an example of such an equation.
Jesus was preaching to HIs disciples and the crowd that had been following Him and He told them to "forgive and they will be forgiven".

Simple right? 

Yes, but it is important to mark out the order of the equation. Just like 5 + 3 is not 2 we should understand this equation :
Forgiving others = being forgiven our sins by the Father.

Simple huh?

Yet, so many of us Christians still don't get it.
We bear grudges, we hate, we fight, we bind in our hearts...
The key to forgiveness, after accepting the Lord Jesus as our Savior, is forgiving others, there is really no way around it.

But, why do we need forgiveness?

That's simple : for salvation. 
If our sins are not forgiven, they cannot be washed away by the blood of Jesus Christ and they will be held against us on the day of Jesus Christ. (Matthew 26 : 28, Hebrews 9 : 22,  Ephesians 1 :  7)

I pray this is not my portion or your portion in Jesus' name. 

Even without going that far, without His forgiveness, we cannot mount to our full Christian potential, for one, we would not have the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us ("Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." Acts 2 : 38).

At the end of it all, the root and mother of forgiveness is love (check out this post on love).
Love births forgiveness and leading a life of love Just like Jesus preached (The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." Mark 12 : 21) helps us to forgive.

And don't forget, one without love in him will not be saved even as brother Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13 : 2 : "If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

This makes sense because as we know it , "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." (1 John 4 : 8)

I know I keep mentioning love in these posts but love cannot be overrated! Our whole salvation is based on love ("For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3 : 16) and a lot of us Christians are doing so many things just because there is no love in us and quite frankly a Christian with no love in them is not one at all!!

As Christians, love should flow through our veins and arteries like blood!
Follow Jesus' ministry and study it, you'll be amazed at how many times Jesus "had compassion" or "was moved"
Jesus is all about love!

And since only HE is our role model ("Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11 : 1) we should be all about love too!

May God help us to forgive even as He wants us to, and may true love bud in our hearts!!

AMEN!

7 comments:

  1. nicely written, I agree with you :)

    I believe Forgiveness sets free
    You feel better in and out because feeling "hurts" is no fun it's like being imprisoned

    Love comes with the ability to forgive
    Forgiveness is letting go of the hurts and the desire to revenge/retaliate... that's y it's "forgive and forget"

    Love can NEVER be overrated I tell you and I agree with you again.. if we loved more and judged less the world would be a better place ..

    I love that we are on the same page :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sis!! You are right! I'm so glad you've been blessed by this! Glory be to God!I absolutely agree, hurting IS like being imprisoned and TRUE LOVE is the only thing that can make the world a better place! Yes, I'm also loving that we are on the same page :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. Another important component to forgiveness is forgiving ourselves as well. A lot of times we can't forgive others because we can't ourselves and so we walk around mad at others when we are really mad with ourselves.

    1 Corinthians 13 is my favorite chapter!! Love is everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey sis!! You are totally right! We cannot forgive others properly if we do not forgive ourselves...there's a healing process attached to forgiving ourselves and letting go. Yes, 1 Corinthians 13 is also one of my favorites!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, Sis, I LOVE this post. So many great htings in ONE Post. You said so much and I AM BlESSED by it! I will definitely reread this to remind me! I thank the Spirit of God that wrote this through you! THIS IS PACKED! It's a simple truth yet, one that we need to hear everyday. It's so easy to hold a grudge even without realizing it, so we need to constantly search our hearts. Just today, I was innocently doing the dishes and my mind went back to someone that had done me wrong practically a year ago and that I had forgiven! it still hurt and it took the grace of God to realize it was the devil that was reminding me of this incident so that i could hold a grdge. The devil is a liar! Thank God for His grace. Because it is only through it that we can truly learn the art of forgiveness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also really like what Faces by Tamara said about learning to forgive ourselves. I really agree! It all starts with you. You cannot forgive others if you're struggling to forgive yourself!

    www.thegreaterpurpose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ FunTò : Glory be to God!! Thank God that this post as a blessing to you. You are right, it truly takes the mighty grace of God to let go. What's more, we also have to learn to forgive ourselves. Many struggle with this and thus they cannot forgive others properly! Thanks for the love sis!

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top