"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Friday, June 3, 2011

Natural Queen : Jamila




Hey ladies!


 I am so happy and excited to introduce to you the Natural Queen for the month! 

She is young, funny, creative, beautiful, encouraging, outstanding and a wonderful example ...You still have't guessed? I'm talking about the owner of the amazing blog,  College Curlies

ENJOY!

1. What is your name? Use a few lines to describe yourself and what you do in life.
My name is Jamila, and I'm a 22-year-old recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Go Heels!) blogger, poet, director, and natural-hair enthusiast.


2. Why did you decide to go natural? Was there a particular event that made you decide?
I decided to go natural because it felt like the right thing to do. I was a broke college student, and paying $60+ dollars for a relaxer every 6 weeks didn't make any sense. I thought I would just get my hair flat ironed instead to save a few bucks, but once I felt those little curlies sprouting out of my scalp, I decided I wanted to explore my natural texture. I wanted to look in the mirror and see myself, and going natural was the most obvious way to do that.


3. Since when have you been natural?
I got my last relaxer in October of 2007, and did my Big Chop in June of 2008. I've been natural for almost four years now. (Wow...I can't believe it's been that long! It feels like yesterday!)


4. Did you transition?
Yes, I did transition-- for about 9 months. I wouldn't call what I did during that time "managing" my hair, it was anything but. I got my hair flat ironed every two weeks at a beauty school, and got my hair trimmed at each session. My hair was dry, damaged, and awful. I decided to Big Chop when I did because honestly, my hair looked terrible. I wish I would have known what I do now about how to take care of my hair. At that point, I wasn't concerned with healthy hair..it was all about the look. Hindsight is 20/20, though, right?



5. What were the reactions around you? Did you have support while transitioning (if you did)?
My friends and family were very supportive of my decision. My mom and my sister went natural shortly after I did. People at my school were nice about it, the most common reaction I got was "It looks good on you, but I could never do that!" I didn't go natural for anyone other than myself, so I wasn't about to start paying for relaxers just because someone had something negative to say. 


6. How did you handle those reactions?
Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter. :)


7. What is you basic hair regimen?
I co-wash, deep condition, and shampoo my hair once a week. I usually shampoo and deep condition on the same day (Sunday), and co-wash midway through the week (Wednesday). I style my hair in two-strand twists and wear styled twist outs throughout the week. 


8. What are your favorite products?
Hands down: Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Aloe Vera Gel, and Herbal Essence's Hello Hydration Conditioner. They're cheap, easy to find, versatile, and my hair loves them. Definitely my staples. 


9. What are your favorite hair styles?
I love big hair, so a second-day twist out gives me life. I really like experimenting with fun updos and copying styles I see other naturalistas do. I go about styling my hair with the motto that a director once told me, "There are no new ideas, only good research." I live by it.


10. What are the three things you love the most about natural hair, and why?
Only three?! I love that my hair reflects my personality,  I love that I rock any style I want, and I love that my natural hair has led me to make more conscious choices about what I put on and in my body. 



11. What are the three things you like the least about natural hair?
Hm. The things I hate about natural hair aren't really about natural hair, but about other people's responses. I hate that it's not considered "professional," I hate that I have to explain my hair and regimen to, um, non-naturals, and I hate that it's associated with being "Earthy." Silly stereotypes that I can't be bothered with.


12. Do you have any natural hair inspirations?
Oh goodness, so many to name! I really am inspired by all of the natural hair bloggers/vloggers-- CurlyNikki, AfroBella-- they rock their natural hair and provide such great resources for so many other women...I love it!


13. If you had to choose 1 person that really helped you through your journey so far, who would it be? 
CurlyNikki, ohmygod. I discovered her site a few months after I started transitioning...and it changed my life. I know it sounds dramatic, but I spent hours reading up on all the posts. I started trimming, deep conditioning, finding products that worked for MY hair and my life, and felt really liberated! I still visit her site daily, and love her personality and her hair advice/tips. It's the most well-rounded natural hair site out there, and it continues to educate and inspire me!


14. Is anyone else close to you natural?
My mama, sister, and best friends are all natural! I love my #teamnatural!


15. What would you say to someone who is thinking of going natural?
Do it! 




16. What do you know/have now and wish you'd known/had before going natural?
I wish I knew that nobody knows my hair better than I do, and to learn what my hair likes and doesn't like instead of jumping on the bandwagon with big-name products and bloggers. What works for one natural doesn't work for everyone!


17. Did you make any major mistakes concerning your hair care? If so what was it?
One of the biggest mistakes I made was not getting trims regularly. I didn't get a trim for a year and half (insert horror-movie scream), so my hair was atrocious. I now trim my hair regularly, and keep an eye out for split ends and single strand knots. They WILL get crazy in there, so make sure you keep that 'em in check. 


18. In one word, describe how your journey has been so far.
Liberating.


19. Do you have any regrets? Is there a chance you might perm your hair again?
I regret not doing it sooner. And no, never...ever...EVER again. Now that I know all of the heath risks associated with those harsh relaxer chemicals, I can't imagine ever going back. 


20. Where can you be reached? (Youtube channel, blog, twitter, facebook etc.)
twitter: College Curlies



21. Please add at least one word to complete the phrases:

"I am ---" Fabulous
"I love to---" Love
"I think my hair is ---" ..Fabulous (can I use the same word twice? lol)
"I think the world is ---" Huge
"I like---" Snuggling
"One moment is not enough to---" Party!
"We could---" Change
"I want to---" Grow
"I wish I were---" Patient
"My hair is simply---" Me



Thank you so much Jamila for taking time out to share with us! May you continue to be an inspiration to all!

I sincerely hope you have all enjoyed Jamila's wonderful story, and have been  encouraged, inspired and challenged like I have. 

If you have not yet checked out her amazing blog, then you do not know what you are missing! You will find information about hair health, hair styles, fashion tips, features, creative ideas and much more!

If you would also like to be featured on DatFunkyFro, please follow this link and you could also be a Natural Queen Of the Month!

2 comments:

  1. Great interview, love College Curlies!



    precious-curls.blogspot.com
    joie-de-vie-blog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top