"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Yoruba Word Of The Week : Orin


Blessings and love!!

I pray you are all having a wonderful Tuesday.

This week's Yoruba word is Orin.

Orin is the Yoruba word for song. 

Music has a very important place in the Yoruba tribe, in fact, we are quite a musical people. 

There are a number of instruments used to make music with, like the talking drum. 

Singing, that is ko orin in Yoruba is a very important part of everyday life. There is literally a song for everything, from births to burials; from coronations to even praising one's spouse.

These days, there are less ibilé songs, that is, the real Yoruba way of singing that has been passed down through generations.

The verb to sing in Yoruba is ko orin. "I am singing a song," in English is equivalent to "mo'n ko orin"

Here are two videos depicting the different ways to sing in Yoruba. 

"Eye Adaba" By Asa is modern but done in the Yoruba language.


By the way, if you do not know who Asa is or has never listened to any of her songs, you better check them out! She is a talented, unique singer doing her own thing that works just for her. There aren't many like her these days.

This second song depicts the ancient way the Yoruba people used to sing. In this video, the singer sings praises about the ancient Yoruba town of Oyo (oriki)



Please note that this is in fact like a poem when listened to carefully. Also note the percussions and dancing!

Enjoy!


Stay blessed and keep it funky!!

♥♥

4 comments:

  1. Heey sis! Love these Yoruba words, they're so beautiful!

    P.S. Just wanted to let you know that you've been tagged! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kiianah!! Aww, thanks for the tag!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wauw, thanks for already applying my suggestion. Hopefully I can say a few yoruba things by the time I go to africa. It is really different than all other languages I know...
    (Since you probably can't read my blog: I have at the moment two yoruba speaking people in my house: my boyfriend, and his niece.) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very welcome smiley!! I hope this continues to help you!

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top