"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Yoruba Word Of The Week : Wúrà

source

Wúrà is the Yoruba word for gold.

How precious Wúrà is. How beautiful Wúrà .

I am not talking about the vain Wúrà of the world, not the metal, no.

The word Wúrà means much more to me than that.

Wúrà can be likened to a refreshing river, cooling words, a gentle soul, rest in the Lord, a heart at peace, a beautiful mind, a woman/man that fears the Lord...

That is Wúrà.

May our days be filled with the continual manifestation of Wúrà, not the one of this world but the one that comes only from God.

Amen.

Stay blessed and keep it funky sisters!

5 comments:

  1. I love that word Wura, I once watch a Naija movie and the children referred to their mom as Wura and that just took my breath away. Definitely one of my favorite Yoruba word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is breathtaking...a mother is certainly wúrà indeed! Yes, same here, I love this word!
    THanks for the comment sis!


    www.datfunkyfro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I just awarded you the "Stylish Blogger Award". You may check it out at this link http://elegantnatural.blogspot.com/2011/04/i-was-awarded-stylish-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey sister
    I was thinking about you having yoruba words on your blog and suddenly remembered an old post I wrote on my blogs http://goodhealthdiva.blogspot.com/2011/01/stress-relief.html
    Being Nigerian you might love it! I got my 'translation' from someone's comments on youtube it woould be great if you can comment on it's accuracy!
    Lara George is actually mu favorite African Gospel singer so to you....I am not Nigerian but her song I'm glad makes me proud to be African! (smiles)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Ms. Cee C : Thanks hunny!! I'd actually awarded you one a few days ago!! You rock sis!

    @ N'na :Ah yes Lara George!! Lovely singer! I checked out the post sis and I'll post what I think on your blog! Yes, we should be proud to be African!

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top