"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Soul Food : Wisdom For Survival

"Trouble and distress have come upon me,  but your commands give me delight.
 Your statutes are always righteous; give me understanding that I may live."

- Psalms 191 : 143 - 144

This is this week portion of the scripture.

I particularly love Psalms 119. I know a lot of people shy away from it because it is so long, myself included, but this Psalm is a true gold mine if you take your time to search. 

In these particular verses, David is telling God that though he is going through so much, he still finds joy in God's commands and he also makes us understand that without divine understanding, one cannot live.

I was challenged by David's zeal, I mean, even in the face of trouble, the only thing that brought him delight was God's commands. How true is that to us? How often do we apply God's wisdom or walk with divine understanding? Do we truly know the value of God's precepts and laws for our lives? Or we just think it's facultative to live by His ways?

One thing David understood was the tight link between walking in God's ways and staying alive (in every sense of the word). Hosea 4:6 says "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge". But what is knowledge? "The fear of God is the beginning of knowledge" (Proverbs 1: 7) and "Wisdom is the principal thing, therefore get wisdom and with all thy understanding, get understanding" (Proverbs 4 :7). 

The truth of the matter is that, without God's wisdom, knowledge and understanding, destruction is not far off. But God is offering us survival through His precepts, commands and ways. If you fear God, which is the beginning of knowledge, you will obey His commands and apply His words and therefore preserve your life from sudden destruction. 

Do not try living your life as you wish, or move as the wind blows you. Even in the face of adversary or misery, do not compromise but rather delight in His words and commands and He will surely lead you.

The hunger of wisdom, knowledge and understanding and the love of God's commands does not come naturally to the corrupt human nature but we have to pray and ask God to give it to us and through prayer and meditation in His word and a constant desire, we will attain them.

May God help us!
Amen!

God richly bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top