"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Weight Loss : March Update

source


Two months on after the New Year, and I'm still on my road to a healthier body and eating habits. I have to admit, with exams and going back to school, I slacked during this month a bit but I can say that I have been making healthier eating choices, and have been more physically active. In fact, right now, some of these choices have become habits and almost automatic.



Here is  quick résumé of everything : 

What I wanted to achieve :

*  permanently avoid sugar (as much as I can)
* only drink water
* make eating fruits and vegetables a permanent habit
*  Walk everyday
* Avoid fried food as much as possible
* loose at least 2 kilos/4.4 pounds


What I achieved :

Permanently avoid sugar : though I still eat one or two things that do have sugar in them I have succeeded in putting an end to eating candy, chocolate and any other sweet stuff on a daily basis. I have also stopped craving for them and whenever I am offered such things, I can boldly say "no, thanks".

Only drink water : I drink water every day and I can say that apart from milk, I only drink water.

* make eating fruits and vegetables a permanent habit : I now eat fruits and even dried fruits more often, I enjoy this so much I always find myself grabbing a fruit when I go to the grocery store.

*Walk everyday : I choose the stairs instead of taking the lift; I go up and down the stairs a lot at work; I walk at least 15 minutes a day. All this still holds.

*Avoid fried foods : I have lessened my intake of oily/fried food but I am yet to stop completely. The only thing I still eat that is fried is "dodo" which is yoruba for fried plantain, this delicacy is one of my favorite foods!

* loose at least 2 kilos/4.4 pounds : I have succeeded in doing this!!! When I got on my weighing machine on the 1st of March, I was shocked to see I was down 2 kilos/4.4 pounds!!! Frankly, I was shocked because as I stated earlier, I had slacked down a bit this month and thought I would either put on the weight I lost in January or not loose anything at all but I thank God for His grace and strength. So I am totally still on target!


How I achieved it :

* I ate when I felt hungry
* I walked at least 15 min a day
* I ate more fruits and vegetables
*I substituted sugar for honey
*I substituted fruits for candy
*I ate cookies and cereal with a lot of fiber and no/less sugar (whole wheat)
*I ate whole wheat bread
*I ate food that had lots of water in it
* I avoided fried food
*I resisted fast foods 
*I drank lots of water
*I prayed about it


As you can see, this last month was mainly about getting used to my new routine and making my new choices permanent habits. I seriously, did not think I was still going to loose anything this last month but I thank God He has helped me thus far. 
If you are also going through a similar journey, all I can say is to not relent, encourage yourself and keep on going! In time, you'd be surprised at the results you'll reap.
As you can see, I am not opting for a "quick diet" or a "quick loose", I really do not believe in that, but I am working towards a way of life that will not only benefit me now, but in the long run.

If you have any suggestions, additions or experience, please share!

Stay blessed and funky!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats girl! I'm also trying to live a healthier lifestyle and I am def taking some of your tips! Keep it going :)



    http://precious-curls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, I have eliminated anything that has high fructose corn syrup (you really should research this stuff, goodness!) from my diet. It's hard because almost everything has the stuff. This is wonderful that you're on the path to a more healthier lifestyle. Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Precious: Thanks sis for the kind words and support! You go girl!! DO share with us as you go on!

    @ Kiianah : Thanks sis! I've heard fructose isn't so easy to burn but I've never heard of high fructose syrup! Thanks for the tips and support sis, it is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top