"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Soul Food : Love

"All night long on my bed, I looked for the one my heart loves;  I looked for him but did not find him. I will get up now and go about the city, through its streets and squares; I will search for the one my heart loves."


- Song Of Solomon 3 : 1- 2




Now here is a book we do not hear a lot about. Yes, the Song Of Solomon. Yet this book describes a lot about  love, what it should be and what it shouldn't be between a man and a woman. In all my years of reading this book, I had never understood it until I read the NIV version and got to understand a bit more about it. 
What I understood is this : the setting seems like a play, in fact maybe a musical that King Solomon or maybe the young woman involved might have written, depicting a true account of part of what must have really happened. The story concerns King Solomon and young, beautiful woman he is physically attracted to, that is clear, I believe, but another facette of the story we normally do not see is the third person, the true lover of the young woman. 
"Lover" here depicts a beatiful relationship, sexually pure, based on true love between a man and a woman, who love themselves for who they are. At the other end is King Solomon and his carnal desire (sexual desire) for the woman and it's up to her to decide whether she wants her poor lover and all the love he has to offer or  King Solomon and all his wealth. 


These days, most of us wouldn't think twice! Love these days means nothing, especially between a man and a woman. Today, love is abused, trampled upon and even seen as a luxury but true love is the kind of love God created between a man and a woman (Genesis 2). He made one man for one woman and one woman for one man. In this time and age, sexuality is so abused it is sickening. This should not be so and in fact is called sexual immorality. Such people will be punished by God as it is written : "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders" 
- 1 Corinthians 6 : 9.


Let us not envy the way the ones of the world get together and couple, let us not admire their relationship habits and let us not in any way envy them thinking they are surely enjoying the best out of relationships. 
Let us settle for real love, that is based on two people that appreciate each other and not on outward appearances or sexual agendas. Such is not of God. Let us not chose a partner based on their money, on their job or social background. Let us stay pure even doing courtship.
Let us follow the example of the young lady in Song Of Solomon and seek after true love and God's kind of relationship between a man and a woman.
Here is a great commentary on the Song Of Solomon. I strongly advice you all to read it and you'll be surprised at the tons of treasures this book hold. As a Christian, this should be our "Guide to Relationships and Courting", not only does it shed light on the secrets in this great book but it also reveals the creative way in which it was written.
May God guide us and keep us and teach us to walk according to His will, amen!


Stay blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top