"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Yoruba Word Of The Week : Ìyá

Ìyá is the Yoruba word for mother.

Ìyá is the one that has borne us for nine months (more or less) and that has raised us (most of the time). She is the one that instructs us on the way to go and watches over us so as not to slip. 

Ìyá is a very important person to each of our lives and in fact growth. Ìyá plays a significant role in our lives and every one of us and every child on the face of the earth deserves an Ìyá.

Ìyá, oh Ìyá

Respect her, love her, cherish her, keep her, listen to her, speak to her, speak about her, remember her always, spoil her, comfort her...never discard your Ìyá

She is an asset God has given us and no matter how your Ìyá is, she is still that, your Ìyá. If you pay enough attention to her, you will get some things from her that will keep you through most of your life and get you through countless situations.

Thank you Ìyá for loving me, keeping me, for rebuking me, correcting me, for being patient, for not giving up on me and for all your sacrifices...

I'm sorry for the times I have been disobedient, stubborn; the times I have lied to you, ignored your words, and deemed your warnings unimportant...

Thank God for Ìyá.

May God keep them and continue to give them knowledge, wisdom, strength and the patience to raise us and guide us even when prove stubborn.
 Amen




2 comments:

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top