"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Yoruba Word Of The Week : Ewà

source



Ewà is the yoruba word for beauty. This is another word I prefer saying in Yoruba than in English. Ewà is used to describe deep beauty on the superficial one we see everyday; it is used to describe an appealing object ("oorewà") and of course, it is used to point out the profound beauty of a woman.

This word is not used often and much less on object. When a woman is called "Arewa" that is, a beautiful woman, then she must truly have distinguished beauty. I love to use this word but the type of beauty it describes is so deep, running from the inside out, that I barely use it on anything. It is funny how ewà, is so similar to iwà which is the word for character and attitude. 

To me, ewà is much more that the exterior but also finds it's way through the interior and shines forth. I don't know if that makes sense, but that is how ewà is to me. To me ewà surpasses the word beauty and practically expresses the true and pure type of beauty we so lack these days, that is, the one you find deep down in your partner or a brother or sister and withstanding whatever they look like, you say : "Orewà".

Stay blessed and funky sisters!

2 comments:

  1. That girl in the picture should be renamed EWA if she is not already. She is absolutely gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I see what you mean sis, she is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top