"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Weight Loss : Why I'm On the Journey

source

Early this year, I made a decision to loose some weight. Why? Would be the expected question. I will not say I am fat because I find that word has been so abused by everyday language and these days it's only used in a debasing manner. No I am not going to use such language on myself, not anymore. To answer the above question, let me take you back a bit : during my early years as a girl, my parents moved my family out of Nigeria and abroad, I put on a lot of weight. Being still young, this didn't bother me but my siblings wouldn't stop pointing out just how much weight I had gained. It was expected though, I mean with all the candy, cakes and chocolate I didn't have access to back home that I was then indulging myself in...It was somewhat understandable. As I moved into my teenage years, I lost some of the weight and I slowly took on a more mature stature. At this point, I was quite content with my weight and I felt this way right up to my late teen years where I started putting on weight again. Last year 2010, I put on a whole lot of it! I was not happy with it and I am not now either. You see, I believe a woman should only worry about her weight when, one, it is affecting her health, and two, she is not feeling comfortable with her weight. I do not in any way believe a woman should run around trying to look as slim or as thick as some model, celebrity or whoever! This is your body and it's about you! We are all beautiful and unique. 

Now let me explain, the second reason why, I believe we women should think about doing something about our weight : discomfort. This can happen at any time for any number of reasons, for example, post pregnancy weight, discomfort when wearing a type of clothing etc. These are genuine reasons based solely on your own comfort and desires. I do not condone trying to "copy" what is "in", whatever it may be. Loosing weight (or gaining weight if it's the case) should be about the woman involved, about her desires and comfort. I remember how, in my teen years, I used to desire to look like the models and actresses on T.V, you know... That journey wasn't about me but about me trying to be like someone else and what an unhappy and unhealthy journey it is too! There is nothing wrong with loosing weight, but before you embark on the journey, try asking yourself what it is about and what your goals are. 
Right now, I am on a journey to loose my excess weight for good and to be once again, totally comfortable with my body. What does that mean? It means me being able to wear all my clothes once again, however I like, whenever I like in total ease. What's more, I have not been eating as healthily as I should and going natural has given me the desire not only for healthy hair but also for a healthy lifestyle in which I would make day-to-day healthy decisions about the things I do to my hair, the food I eat, the way I manage my time etc. However, for now, this does not mean I will carry myself any less than I should,  or be any less confident! This is not the case at all. I am still "wonderfully and fearfully made" and I love me the way God has made me, it's just time to start making some healthy decisions!

Stay blessed and funky sisters!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top