"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Yoruba Word Of The Week : Osun

source

 As I think you all know, I am from the Yoruba tribe in West Africa. I love my heritage and my language. The Yoruba language is rich and the culture deep. Every week I have decided to share a word (or more) of Yoruba with you.



Remember I mentioned osun in the African Black Soap Body Wash post? Well I have finally found the English translation for the word. It's pronounced "osuhn" not "oshun" because that is a totally different thing. The translation is camwood or African sandalwood. The red powder pictured above is obtained by peeling down the bark of the tree and getting's to it's heart. The red solid found inside can be crushed to make this powder. The powder can be used as a natural dye or better yet, as a beauty aid. It is known to soothe the skin, smooth it, make it glow, cleanse it, help with acne and many more. Osun is used in Nigeria by many women, including my mommy, for as long as she can remember. She told me you can mix it with your every day cream or with your shower gel. We use it with our black soap.

That is the Yoruba word of the week. Hope I helped somebody!

Stay blessed and funky sisters!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't been able to find much info on camwood powder. Have any website suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon! Unfortunately no.
      I also found barely anything on it on the web.
      Nearly everything I know about it came from my parents - who introduced me to it.
      Check out this link though : http://shearadiance.typepad.com/shea_radiance/2009/08/african-camwood-for-skincare.html

      Delete
  2. very much appreciated. very helpful blog....

    ReplyDelete
  3. While there is not a lot of detail about African Sandalwood on the web, your precise instructions on how to use it are very helpful. I would rather have this kind of firsthand information vs a source like Wikipedia, or someone who thinks they know....

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top