"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Yoruba Word Of The Week : Ifé



source

Love, is the English word for Ifé. I love that word.
When I say love in Yoruba, it sounds so much more sweeter than saying it in English. I don't now why, it's probably because it has not been banalized or maybe because I don't hear it everyday, who knows?

Ifé, when I say it, brings to mind God's love for us. His unconditional, unchanging, faithful love. The kind of love that made Him give His only begotten son. That is awesome ifé and the height of it all.

Ifé also brings to mind a sweet, sugar mixed with honey kind of love, between a man and a woman. The pure, generous and faithful one, not the "quick fix" kind that is broadcasted on a daily basis through the T.V. My heart goes all buttery when I think of it and even worse, when I am watching a Yoruba movie and a guy says it : "mo ni fé re" that is, I love you, in Yoruba (please correct me if the accents on the letters are wrong! I am self taught when it comes to writing Yoruba). 

Some say French is the language of love, I don't know, but I speak French and when it comes to speaking love, leave it to the Yoruba language to do that.

Ifé, oh ifé.

I love that word and I love Jesus for being ifé.

2 comments:

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top