"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Taming Your Edges



Is your hairline filled with extra 'springy' hair? Does your 'baby hair' tend to coil up and mess up your do? Have you tried all sorts to sleek down your edges, including gel, but to no avail? Are your edges proving stubborn?
Well, guess what, you are not at all alone.




At the beginning of my natural hair journey, my edges were still recovering from abusive pulling (especially during braiding) and neglect.  But after going natural, my hairline has fully recovered. At first, when the hair that made up my edges was still short, they sleeked down pretty easily with gel but a few months down the line, I realize gel don't cut it no more. Yes, that's right, gel does not sleek down my edges (instead, they leave residues!). True I have not tried many gels but when a gel is called "strong" and labelled "lasting" aren't I supposed to get some results. Well, I'm not mad at any gel, I have simply just accepted my fate. 
When I realized my little 'dilemma' I was clueless to what to do but after some research, I stumbled across one of curlynikki's great posts (at the point I didn't even know who she was and if you don't know who she is you need to check out her blog) where she describes how she used shea butter to tame her edges (she put some shea butter on her edges then she tied a scarf over t and left it overnight). I was so excited I tried it too. The results were good but not exactly satisfactory so I decided to work it to try something else. I still used the same principle but instead of using just plain shea butter, I decided to use my curly creme/buttercreme



Here's what I did:

I put a generous amount of my curly creme/buttercreme on my edges, (just enough to sleek them down a bit) then I tied a band over it. On the next day, I took off the band and my edges were sleeked down! This lasted the whole day but by the time I was ready to sleep, my edges were unruly once again. But, this is okay with me. I loved the results I got. Not only am I sleeking down my edges but I am also nourishing them with shea butter and oils full of nutrients and strengthening properties. This has officially become part of my night routine!



Now, to make the head band I use, this is what I did: I took a pair of old, black panty hose and cut off the two ends. This leaves you with two legs (that look like leg warmers). To finish, I cut open each leg, leaving you with two head bands. You can further cut the legs to the size you want etc.
I not only use this band for my night routine but also to wear my hair out.

Another thing that works and that I use if ever I had not been able to do my curly creme/buttercreme routine the night before is this : I apply 100% pure Aloe Vera gel. I squirt a small amount on my fingers and gently use my fingers to lay down the hair. Though it does not last long or sleek down as well as my usual routine, it still does a okay job and I think it might be perfect for some natural queens.

That's how I tame my edges! How do you tame yours? Please share!

Stay blessed and funky sisters!

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I found that I would have these same issues with my TWA. My hair line was so moody! I'll definitely pass this tip along

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sis!! Great to see you here! Once you've tried it do share! Oh and by the way, I love your new cut! Funny thing is I have been considering cutting again but...lol

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top