"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Natural Queen : Tinuke Wilson










Hi ladies!

It is my uttermost pleasure and excitement to introduce to you DatFunkyFro's first Natural Queen Of The Month. She has been nothing but supportive, helpful and encouraging ever since I met her. Here are the questions I had the honor to  ask her and along with her responses : 







1.What is your name? Use a few lines to describe yourself and what you do in life




My name is Tinuke Wilson. I am married to my love and we are blessed with two beautiful children. I work with teeangers with social issues.

2. Why did you decide to go natural? Was there a particular event that made you decide?




Honestly, I got tired of wearing weaves. I never really wore my hair out. My hair was very unhealthy, thin and I was too embarrased to  wear it out, but my husband encouraged me to go natural and I have been loving my journey.

3. Since when have you been natural?







I have been natural for almost four years. 








4. Did you transition?
- if so, how long and how did you manage your hair during this period?
- if not, why not?
I transitioned for a year  with braids.. You know, I did not have the intention of transitioning when I was. I was pregnant with my first child and did not want to put chemicals in my hair. So I wore braids throughout the pregnancy and after I had the baby, I decided to keep transitioning. I don't believe I took really good care of my hair when I was unintentionally transitioning.

5. What were the reactions around you? Did you have support while transitioning (if you did)?
Nobody knew I was transitioning, I am sure everyone thought that I was just wearing braids and extensions.


7. What is you basic hair regimen?
Wash once a week, Deep treat once a week, apply leave in , moisturize daily while my hair is in protective style. I like to tuck my ends away. I retain length better that way.








8. What are your favorite products?
Aloe Vera Juice: I use this to correct the pH of all my products
Coconut Oil: I always use this to prepoo and in my spritz
Shea Butter: It helps stretch my hair preventing tangles








9. What are your favorite hair styles?
 Like I stated above, I like to tuck my ends away. I like updos. I usually two strand twist my hair and pin up. I wear  flat twists sometines as well.









10. What are the three things you love the most about natural hair, and why?
*Versatility:love the fact that my hair can be styled in so many ways
*positive lifestyle change: I found myself eating better and exercising after going natural
*I like the fact that I can style my own hair, no more long waiting hours at the salon and making ridiculous expenses to get my hair more damaged















11. What are the three things you like the least about natural hair?














Dryness!! That's it. Honestly, I really do not have anything else to add.














12. Do you have any natural hair inspirations?
I have quite a few Rustic Beauty on Youtube, I don't believe she makes videos anymore







Yaya Dacosta, Corrine Bailey















13. If you had to choose 1 person that really helped you through your journey so far, who would it be?







My darling Husband, just by being sooooooo supportive.















14. Is anyone else close to you natural?
My darling daughter

15. What would you say to someone who is thinking of going natural?







"Congratulations on thinking about embarking on a journey that will have a great impact on your life. Be patient  with your hair. Research and educate yourself, you will learn new things about your hair very frequently.Your hair and the next coily's are not the same. Listen to what your hair likes. Be  strong because this journey is not for the fainthearted...seriously!!!"















16. What do you know/have now and wish you'd known/had before going natural?
That natural hair does not mean healthy hair. For a long time, I time, I thought that having natural hair is automatically having a head full of healthy hair.... wrong!!!!!!


17. Did you make any major mistakes concerning your hair care? If so what was it?







COLORING MY HAIR...I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!!















18. In one word, describe how your journey has been so far.







frustrating!!!. Honestly. I love being natural despite all the difficulties I have experienced. Like I said, this journey is not for the fainthearted!!.















19. Do you have any regrets? Is there a chance you might perm your hair again?







NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!. My hair is so fine, it cannot handle that stuff!!















20. Where can you be reached? (Youtube channel, blog, twitter, facebook etc.)








21. Please add a word or more to complete the phrases:















"I am... fearfully and wonderfully made"







"I love... to encourage"







"I think... my hair is beautiful"







"I think... the world is small"







"I like... honesty"







"One moment is... not enough to be in the presence of Him"







"We could... build  an empire together"







""I want to... make a difference"














"I wish... I were not so shy"
"My hair is... simply unique"




Thank you so much Tinuke for taking time out to answer and for consenting to be featured on DatFunkyFro! 













 I pray God will continue to bless you and your family abundantly! 














Tinuke is truly a wonderful sister, not only is she creative when it comes to her hair, full of wisdom, but she is also talented when it comes to applying make-up and staying fly. Don't forget to check out her blog and Youtube channel!

I hope you other divas have enjoyed that and have drawn inspiration and and encouragement like I have from Tinuke's wonderful story. If you also want to be featured on DatFunkyFro, please follow this link and you could also be a Natural Queen Of The Month!




Stay blessed and funky sisters!

4 comments:

  1. It is a pleasure to be featured on your blog. Thanks for having a fabulous blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sis! Thank you again for sharing your wonderful story!
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very inspiring. I like what you said about how having natural hair does not necessarily mean they're healthy. It takes a lot of work to keep them healthy. Wish I had the courage u ladies have :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had shea butter that was yellow. Guess that wasn’t the real deal. I am going to give this recipe a try once I get my hands on some shea butter.
    I have also been wanting to make my own vanilla

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top