"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Mixology : My Deep - Conditioning Mix




Hi everyone! 

I pray all is well with you in this just beginning new year!

Today, I am posting about my deep - conditioning mix I mentioned in The Search for the Ultimate Deep Conditioner #6. As I had already stated, I use this mix for my deep conditioning mix.

So with no further ado, this is how I make it:



INGREDIENTS:

For any quantity, you are going to need :

Oil phase

6% of coconut oil

4% of olive oil

4% of castor oil

4% of shea butter

4% of cocoa butter

 5% of an appropriate emulsifier (I use BTMS)

Water phase

26.4% of aloe vera juice

24% of rose water (or just plain water)

8% of glycerin (or honey)

1-2% of inulin (not essential but it helps make hair soft)


Finished phase

0.1-1% of any appropriate preservative (it's better to use a graduated pipette for this)

1% of silk peptide protein (do not use if you are protein sensitive)

2% of panthenol (provitamin B5)

2% of hydrolyzed wheat protein (again, if you are protein sensitive, do not use it)

5 drops of peppermint EO (or any other of your choice. I chose peppermint because I love the scent and because of it's scalp stimulating property)

20 drops of scent oils (I use pure extracts of coconut and vanilla)


about a tsp of guar gum (do not get too excited with the guar gum. Little is better than too much! I prefer my conditioner to be quite thick (but not too thick) so use as little as you like but I think a tsp is the limit)


OTHER THINGS YOU WILL NEED :

A really good hand mixer

Two bowls (preferably made out of stainless steel and with handles)

Two appropriate pots and lids

Oven mits (to protect hands from getting burned)

A precise weighing machine

Gloves

Some protective eye wear 

DIRECTIONS :

1. First put the water phase in a bowl (best if it's made of stainless steel) over a pot of boiling water and cover with an appropriate pot lid. Do the same with the oil phase. Heat both at the same time.
2. Heat both of them for about 20 minutes (the butters and emulsifier must melt before proceeding!)
3. Carefully take both bowls of the heat and immediately pour the oil phase into the water phase (that is pour the contents of the bowl containing the oil phase into the bowl containing the water phase) and mix with the hand mixer. Mix until the mix becomes homogeneous (for at least three minutes).
4. Wait to cool then add the finished phase (add ingredients one by one in no particular order but I belive guar gum should be last) and mix for a few seconds.
5. Pour into container of your choice. I use a bottle but getting it inside the bottle might be a little tricky. If you are using a bottle, I would advice using an icing sugar bag.


WARNING : 

Be very careful while making this conditioner to avoid un necessary burns and other accidents alike!!! Always wear protective gear : oven mitts, protective eye wear ( if you have glasses it's alright).  Be sure to not use anything you might be allergic too! A lot of preservatives and fragrance oils are synthetic (I do not use such) and contain compounds that are likely to cause allergies!!! Follow instructions (from distributor) to test for any allergic reactions!!! Make sure you are also not allergic to any essential oil you want to use! Always ask professional advice before using any essential oil, especially if you have a medical condition, are pregnant or nursing!  I cannot stress this enough! It is for your own safety!!!

If you follow these safety precautions, you will find that this recipe is quite easy. Please note that I  take no responsibility for anything that could go wrong while making this conditioner whether it be with the product itself, your manipulation methods, or the way one of the ingredients you decide to use reacts with you.

If You are not sure of what you are doing please ask me or someone that could help you! While making this the first time, you might want to ask someone else to give you a hand.

This product is in no way toxic and contains only natural, beneficial products. If you want, you can add a mild surfactant to the mix! It's up to you to play with the ingredients now.

This mix will normally not go bad. But this depends on the preservative you use. A good preservative is one that can kill a wide range of bacterias and fungi.

I originally got this idea from ReviveUK, who by the way is a great Youtuber, but I changed it up a few times.

Well that's it. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask them!

Have fun mixing and please do share your experiences with this mix!

Stay blessed and funky!

8 comments:

  1. You go girl! Thanks for sharing Sis, I've been experimenting with my own concoctions also and these are some GREAT ingredients. Question, where in the heck do you get your silk peptide protein?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so very welcome sis! It is my pleasure!
    Good question! I get it online! There are quite a number of places where you can get silk peptide protein. I get it from a french ingredients store online. I just checked and fromnaturewithlove.com also has it. If ever you are interested I can give you the web address of the store I get mine from!
    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Great Post Sis!!!
    I have been trying some homemade recipes but not this original. Can you link the websites where the products are purchased from?

    Thanks in advance!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks sis!! I'm glad I was of help!
    I purchased from a french website but the delivery to the states might be a bit costly, I'm not sure, but they have great stuff! --> www.aroma-zone.com
    But fromnaturewithlove.com also have great ingredients, but I've never ordered from them. www.akomaskincare.co.uk is also great! Their customer service is also superb!

    Hope that helps! Feel free to ask anymore questions if you need to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you use a special scale to measure these ingredients? I want to start making my own shampoo's and conditioners, I'm transitioning from relaxed.

    Great site btw

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Headfulloffuzzies : Hi! It't best to use a digital scale because they are more precise. Congrats on your transitioning! Wish you success with the mixing! If ever you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Thanks for passing by :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I have a digital scale but it only measures in ounces and grams. Do you have one that you use that you would recommend or do you convert it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Headfulloffuzzies : Grams are the best unit to measure in so you've got yourself a good scale right there! :) Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top