"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Thursday, September 9, 2010

The search for the ultimate deep conditioner! #2

While making my deep conditioners, I realized that most of them are too watery and if you've ve tried the coconut milk  conditioner, you'd know what I mean. So what I have learnt to do is to add some guar gum. 
Guar gum is a natural product that comes from guar beans (grown in India and Pakistan) and is used as a natural thickener especially in cooking (cakes, dairy products, sauces). It comes in the appearance of a off-white powder. With just a tiny amount, (not even up to half of a teaspoon) guar gum thickens up my mix, this way, my deep conditioner stays in my hair instead of flowing out. You can get guar gum in an indian shop but not always. Personally, I order mine online,  and it is very cheap! It is very safe to use on your hair and all you need  is 0.5 - 1% of your mix depending on the viscosity you are looking for. I have fallen in love with this product because, it is so easy to use and it has turned my deep conditioning nightmares into a wonderful dream! I normally use it after mixing everything I want to use together. I put the mix in a mixer or just use a hand mixer (you can also use a whisker) then little by little, in very tiny amounts, add the guar gum. I only stop mixing after I get the result I want. Remember, when adding guar gum, mix as fast as you can because the gum would just stick to itself and thicken only part of the mix. 


Another product that does the same thing as guar gum is xanthan gum. Basically, xanthan gum is produced by the fermentation of glucose through a bacterria called Xanthomanas campestris. It looks like a creamy powder only more grain-like.  It is also used for cooking and stabilizes, along with thickens, just like guar gum. It can also be used as a thickener  for deep conditioner recipes. Normally, xanthan gum is usually bought online. The only downfall is that, it is not as cheap as guar gum, in fact, it is not that cheap at all. 


My personal choice is guar gum.


Have fun concocting! ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top