"The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?"

- Psalms 27 : 1

Thursday, September 9, 2010

The search for the ultimate deep conditioner! #1

Deep conditioning is good because?


This was exactly the question I asked myself when I read somewhere at the beginning of my second natural hair journey that deep conditioning was necessary for healthy hair. So, what's the deal with deep conditioners? Deep conditioners, from my experience, are good for a healthy hair regimen because they revitalize the hair, add needed moisture, shine, strength and nourishments (for example Vitamin E). So the next question is, what is the difference between a deep conditioner and a conditioner? Again, according to my experience, the difference it this: a deep conditioner is a a conditioner that gives your hair a bigger treat. Ha! simple isn't it? Well, at least that's what I have noted in my experience.  Deep conditioners seem to really work heir way into you hair, a part called the cuticle while a regular conditioner stays on the outer layer. So therefore, conditioners are lighter and do less than what a deep conditioner would in one washing. Most deep conditioners are better left on for at least 15 minutes with a cap, to really maximize the effect of the conditioner (by trapping heat from your head). Regular conditioners are normally left on for 3-5 minutes. This is understandable because a conditioner is not meant to penetrate your hair therefore, even if you leave it on for more, the results will not be any better, at least it wouldn't be a big deal.
But, over treatment is to be avoided or else you might just break your hair (in the case of protein treatments) or/and weigh it down. A deep conditioner should be used at least twice a month but not more than once a week, I would say. Of course, if your hair is in a protective style (say maybe two strand twists) you can do it once a month but make sure your deep conditioner is one that will leave a lasting effect.


Before diving into the world of deep conditioners, note that there are many deep conditioners, many of which you can make in your own kitchen, that do different things. Here are a few examples:


* Avocado deep conditioner: one egg, 1/2 avocado, a tablespoon of honey, a tablespoon of olive oil
this deep conditioner is great for a protein treatment.


*Mayonnaise deep conditioner: one egg, three tablespoons of mayonnaise, a tablespoon of olive oil


*Coconut oil deep conditioner: five tablespoons of coconut oil, a table spoon of honey


*Coconut milk deep conditioner: 6 1/2 oz of pure coconut milk, a tablespoon of honey
This conditioner is one of my favorite. It leaves my hair very soft and strengthened.


*Coconut milk deep conditioner (recipe for more sheen): a little less than 6oz of coconut milk, a tablespoon of honey and another tablespoon of olive oil


*Banana deep conditioner: one whole ripe banana, a tablespoon of honey, a tablespoon of olive oil


etc.


Please note that these recipes are not fixed and you can play with the ingredients and measurements depending on your hair needs. These are approximate measurements because I do not use precise measurements when I make my deep conditioners. A deep conditioner should be used up straightaway because it will obviously go bad. Another thing to remember is that, always use extra virgin olive oil and virgin coconut oil. I will make another post about why it is so important to do so.


Something else I would like to say is that, you can buy deep conditioners, just as you buy your other products. I have never tried any of these though. Other regular conditioners can be used with one or two other ingredients to make a deep conditioner, for example, you can add olive oil and coconut oil to your every-day conditioner. This will maximize the conditioner's normal effects.


Remember, everybody's hair is different, you have to play around with a few recipes or products before you find the one for you. Have fun finding your ultimate deep conditioner! Please leave recipes for deep conditioners if you have any! Thank you.


tyty!x



BDD477122598CBC397454A8F8F821C1F.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!
Thank you for stopping by! It really means a lot! Why don't you tell me what you think, ask a question if you have any or just show some love by leaving a comment? I would love to hear from you!
Funbi's
♥♥

back to top